Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to Upgrade Your Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 to Ice Cream Sandwich XXLP2 Firmware
Owners of the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 won’t be left far behind as the device is catching up with the latest version of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware known as the XXLP2 upgrade.
This said firmware carries several performance improvements over those provided by the earlier firmware versions XXKP8 and XXKPA.
In this article, you will find the steps for updating your Galaxy S2 firmware to Android 4.0.3 build XXLP2. This guide will work only on handset model GT-I9100 and not on other models such as the GT-I9100G. To check whether you’re using handset model GT-I9100, dial *#1234# on your phone and check the handset information.
Requirements and Reminders
- Download the ICS XXLP2 Android 4.0.3 update package from here. Save the package to your computer.
- Backup your phone data.
- Perform the procedure with the phone at full charge, or with at least 70% battery.
- You will lose root access after applying this update.
- Extract the contents of the ICS XXLP2 package and place all of the contents inside a folder without modifying any of the files. You may need a RAR extraction program, such as WinRAR, to unpack the contents.
- Open the Odin.exe file on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device by heading to “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”. Make sure that there is a check mark beside USB Debugging mode.
- Turn off your phone and enter Download mode. You can enter Download mode by simultaneously pressing down the Volume Down and Home keys, then pressing the Power button.
- Once the phone is in Download mode, connect your phone to your PC while keeping the Odin application running.
- Within a few moments, the ID:COM section in the Odin application will eventually turn yellow. This indicates that the necessary drivers for your device have been successfully installed on your computer.
- Inside the Odin application, click on the following tabs (set in bold text) below and load the corresponding files as shown below. These are the extracted files that we have downloaded with the ICS package.
- PIT – u1_02_20110310_emmc_EXT4.pit
- PDA – I9100_CODE_I9100XXLP2_CL57619_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5,
- Phone – MODEM_I9100XXLP1_REV_02_CL1095381.tar.md5
- CSC – GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXALP2.tar.md5
- In Odin, click the “Start” button once you finish matching the corresponding files to begin the firmware update. It may take up to 2- 5 minutes for the installation to complete. Your device will automatically reboot itself and will ask you to setup your phone with your Google Account credentials. You can skip the setup process for now.
- Turn off your device once again and boot into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Up and Home buttons together, then pressing the Power button.
- Inside recovery mode, select “Wipe data/factory reset”, after which select “Wipe cache partition.”
- Reboot your device after the cleaning process.
- To make sure that you have successfully applied the firmware you can check by heading to “Settings > About Phone > Firmware Version”. In here, you should be able to find the XXLP2 Android 4.0.3 firmware noted on your device.
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware build XXLP2.