Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Upgrade Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 to Team Hacksung ICS ROM Build 15
The Android community is brewing up a lot of good stuff with Ice Cream Sandwich in it. You might already have tasted some of it, like those CyanogenMod 9 builds which they are piously working on.
Just like what you are hoping for, we also wish that someday soon we can already see a perfect custom ROM built from Android 4.0 core. This might not have come just yet but a lot of good progress is very visible nowadays.
Team Hacksung is one of the ardent teams that are working on porting ICS into Samsung devices. The team recently released a new and updated build of its ROM which is tailored to work on a Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. Build 15 is the newest version and it’s got some bug fixes and new enhancements over the previous build 14.
Even though this ROM comes with some bug fixes, the developers would still claim that it is not yet perfect. Despite the imperfection of this ROM, it is still worth a try. If you have a Galaxy S and some spare time, check out these easy-to-follow steps on how to install the ICS ROM from Team Hacksung.
Just a Heads Up
This guide will only work on the Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000. Please do not attempt to try this on other devices. The ROM will not work with other devices since it is specifically built for the Galaxy S GT-I9000.
The process will void the warranty of the device. If you don’t want your warranty to be voided, do not proceed with this guide.
Read the entire guide first before you perform the steps on your device. Familiarizing the steps will enable you to anticipate what will happen next.
Things That You Need
- A Windows PC with internet access.
- USB data cable to connect the device to the PC.
- Samsung USB driver should be installed in the PC. You can get it here.
- The device needs to be rooted.
- You need to backup your data.
- The device needs to be fully charged.
Steps in Installing Team Hacksung ICS Build 15
- Enable USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development. Check USB Debugging to enable it.
- Download Team Hacksung’s ICS Build 15 package from here.
- Download Google Apps from here.
- Download the Face Unlock package from here.
- Download the Google Apps fixer from here.
- Connect the device to the PC.
- Copy the 4 downloaded packages into the root directory of the device’s SD card.
- Disconnect and turn off the device.
- Boot the device into recovery mode by holding down the Volume Up button together with the Menu and Power button.
- Go to “Install Zip from SD card” from the main menu and then choose “Choose zip from SD card”. Select the ICS package file and confirm that you want to start installation. Repeat this step for the three other package files (Google Apps, Face Unlock, and Google Apps fixer).
- After installation, turn off the device again.
- Reboot again to recovery mode.
- Choose “Wipe data/factory reset”, then select “Wipe Cache partition”. This will clear up temporary files used during the installation earlier.
- Return to the main menu and then select “Reboot system now”.
That would complete the entire process of installing ICS ROM Build 15 by Team Hacksung. From now on, you can already have fun with your Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 running Ice Cream Sandwich. Congratulations!