Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
How to flash Perseus kernel for the Galaxy Note 2 T889
The XDA Developers Forum is a nest of geeky information about any type of Android device. From entry-level to mid-range to high-end smartphones, you can find a wealth of mods that will just about get you hooked on flashing. So, what do you do when you feel like your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-T889 could perform better and faster? Well, you flash a ROM for starters. However, if you like your current ROM and don’t want to change too much of what you have, then you flash a kernel.
One of the better known kernels in the forums of XDA is the Perseus kernel. This mod was first introduced in the Galaxy S3 forums and now it has been ported to the Galaxy Note 2. XDA Developers member AndreiLux has created a Note 2 version of the kernel for the international, international LTE, and T-Mobile builds. This kernel packs a punch and allows you to overclock your CPU to 1.8 gigahertz and undervolt it from 600 to 1,400 megavolts. In addition, the USB charging rate limit has been increased to 900 milliampere-hour. This kernel promises a faster and battery efficient experience on your Galaxy Note 2.
This guide shows you how to flash Perseus kernel for the Galaxy Note 2 T889.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2, model number SGH-T889. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-T889 with ClockworkMod Recovery. For help, see these guides:
- Galaxy Note 2 T889 toolkit for root, bootloader unlock, and custom recovery
- How to root the Galaxy Note 2 T889 using stock, prerooted UVALK8 firmware
- How to flash TWRP Recovery for the Galaxy Note 2 T889
- A Windows PC
- Your phone’s USB cable
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset. Go to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Note: Remember to tick the box right beside the USB Debugging option.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download Odin (Odin3v185.zip, md5sum: 0c21e86a38c7868b0b50396eee85721f)
- Download the appropriate file for the procedure you will be following:
- Make sure your device’s battery still has at least 70% power. You don’t want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Flashing using Odin
- On your PC, extract the Odin3v185.exe file from the ZIP file you’ve downloaded.
- Launch Odin by double-clicking on Odin.exe.
- Turn your phone off.
- Boot into Download Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Down, Home, and the Power buttons until your phone’s screen turns on. Press Volume Up to enter Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to the PC using your phone’s USB cable. Odin will give you an “Added!” message to confirm that it has detected your phone.
- In Odin, click on the PDA button. Locate and select
the Perseus-alpha TAR file.
- NOTE: Do not make any other changes. Do not tick the “Re-partition” option.
- Click Start in Odin to begin flashing.
- You will receive a “PASS” message from Odin if the flashing was successful. Your phone will automatically reboot. Once you see the Samsung logo on your phone, you can unplug it from the computer.
- NOTE: If you encounter a “FAIL” message from Odin or the program does not initiate, disconnect your phone from the computer and close the program. Afterwards, remove your phone’s battery and re-insert it before repeating steps 2 to 8.
Flashing using ClockworkMod Recovery
- Copy the Perseus-alphakernel ZIP file to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Turn your phone off.
- Reboot your phone to ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down Volume Up, Home, and the Power button until recovery boots. Use the Volume keys to move through options and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid Backup. Go to Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Flash the kernel. Select Install ZIP from SD card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > Locate and select Perseus-alpha kernel> Yes.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You have flashed the Perseus kernel to your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-T889. Let us know how you like the kernel by leaving a comment below.