Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Upgrade your Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660 to Ice Cream Sandwich via CyanogenMod 9
The Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660 finally gets the royal treatment as the device finally gets a taste of Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS), courtesy of the GalaxyICS Project and CyanogenMod 9.
If you already have tried other ICS-based ROMs then you might want to give the GalaxyICS ROM a try, as it is perfectly tailored for the Galaxy Gio.The GalaxyICS ROM is an interesting ROM that takes the Ice Cream Sandwich to the next level.
The ROM is currently under heavy development with many features not functioning well. So far, the developers have already made huge progress with the ROM. The only major issue concerns Wi-Fi, but the developers have provided a patch to work around the issue.
Working features in the GalaxyICS ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660:
- GSM (phone/messages/GPRS/EDGE/3G)
- HW acceleration (full)
- All sensors (proximity, roration etc)
- CyanogenMod settings (not all, it’s not fully merged by CyanogenMod team, not my fault)
- Market (now you can download all apps available for Gio with GB)
- Fixed animations (now it looks so good)
- Facebook sync
- Buttons backlight
- BLN support
- GMail fully works
- Browser fully works
- ICS keyboard
- Games – works as smoothly as on Gingerbread
- Camera – only photos, without preview
- Deep sleep
- Wifi signal indicator
- Native Android mass storage
- Without flickering
If your geared up to install ICS on your Samsung Galaxy Gio, continue reading for a step-by-step guide.
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660 (See our guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660)
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
NOTE: As always, use these instructions at your own risk. Do not hold us responsible for any damage to you or your phone because of your use of this guide.
- Download a special ClockworkMod Recovery image for CyanogenMod 9 for the Galaxy Gio. Get the image from here (px-cwm-v2.zip, 7.13 MB).
- Copy px-cwm-v2.zip to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Reboot the phone into recovery mode by holding down the Home/OK (middle) button as you turn on the phone using the Power button. In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons for navigation and the Home/OK button for selecting.
- From the recovery menu, select Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard, select px-cwm-v2.zip, and confirm that you want to flash the file. Reboot your phone afterwards.
- Go to the GalaxyICS Project website. Click the Download link. Click the “Select” button for Samsung Galaxy Gio S5660. Click the “Releases” button. Download the latest version of CyanogenMod 9 for the Galaxy Gio. (As of this writing, current version is beta 5; cm_gio-beta5.zip, 124 MB)
- Connect your Galaxy Gio to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the ROM package to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into recovery mode as in step 3.
- From the recovery menu, select Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard, select the ROM package file, and confirm that you want to flash the file. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Select “Wipe data / factory reset“ and confirm the operation on the screen that follows.
- Select “Go Back” to head back to the main menu.
- Select “Reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
If you have problems with Wi-Fi, you can download a patch here (wifi_fix_galaxyics.zip, 314 kB). Copy the file to your your phone’s SD card. Boot into recovery mode as in step 3 above. Flash the patch as in step 4 above. Reboot your phone afterward.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed CyanogenMod 9 with Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Samsung Galaxy Gio GT-S5660.