Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Galaxy Alpha coming exclusively to AT&T from September 26
Samsung’s metallic phone, the Galaxy Alpha, will go on sale on AT&T this Friday for $199 on-contract.
AT&T announced today that it would exclusively carry the Galaxy Alpha and that it would offer it in three color versions, Charcoal Black, Dazzling White and Frosted Gold. The phone will be available in AT&T stores and online from September 26.
The device, which features a metallic frame and a texturized plastic back cover that’s similar to the Galaxy S5’s, comes with a 720p display, an octo-core Exynos 5430 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 12MP camera and a 1,860 mAh battery.
On AT&T, the Galaxy Alpha will be available for $199.99 with a two-year commitment, $612.99 unlocked, or $25.55/$30.65 per month with a Next 18/12 installment plan. The order page isn’t live at the moment of this writing.
For comparison, the Galaxy S5 costs 649.99 unlocked or $199.99 on contract. In other words, Samsung considers the Alpha a true flagship, which will probably disappoint those who were hoping for a more attractive price tag for this new device.
It’s not clear whether AT&T will have an indefinite period of exclusivity on the Alpha or other carriers will eventually offer it as well.
If you’re interested in learning more about the Galaxy Alpha, here’s our hands-on with the device from IFA 2014:
Is the Galaxy Alpha a good deal in your opinion?
More details in the press release.
Sleek, Compact Samsung Galaxy Alpha Exclusively Available from AT&T on Sept. 26
DALLAS, Sept. 22, 2014 – AT&T1 and Samsung today announced that the Samsung Galaxy Alpha™ will be available starting Sept. 26 exclusively online at www.att.com, AT&T’s fastest way to order, and in AT&T retail stores.
“We are excited to offer you yet another industry leading smartphone with the announcement of the Galaxy Alpha on the nation’s most reliable 4G LTE network,2 covering more than 300 million Americans,” said Jeff Bradley, senior vice president – Devices, AT&T. “The Samsung Galaxy Alpha marries sleek, premium design with all of the great features and Samsung technology that you have come to expect from a Galaxy product.”
The Galaxy Alpha’s beautiful metal frame and slim build, with a 4.7-inch screen, offers you a powerful and stylish smartphone. It features a 2.5GHz Quad Core processor and up to 32GB of storage for all of your applications, pictures and videos. Additional features include:
- HD TV-Quality Display: Samsung has equipped the Galaxy Alpha with a 4.7-inch HD Super AMOLED® display – right at your fingertips. Watch your favorite movies and shows in a crystal clear display while on-the-go.
- Stunning Images: Equipped with a 12MP rear-facing camera and a 2.1MP front-facing camera, the Galaxy Alpha uses real-time HDR to capture stunning images. The device also offers you advanced options, such as Selective Focus, Panorama and Shot & More.
- Ultra Power Saving Mode: Never worry about running out of power while on-the-go. Ultra Power Saving Mode will turn your screen to black and white, and shut off non-essential apps, so you get the most out of the battery you have left. With Ultra Power Saving Mode a 10 percent charge will allow you to still receive calls and texts for up to 24 hours.3
- S HealthTM: Keep yourself in tip-top-shape with Samsung’s S Health app.4 Track your steps, challenge your friends, earn medals and even get on-demand nutrition tips.
Select the Samsung Galaxy Alpha in Charcoal Black, Dazzling White or Frosted Gold at:
- $25.55 per month on AT&T Next18.5
- $30.65 per month on AT&T Next12.5
- $199.99 with a two-year agreement.6
- No annual commitment for $612.99.7
New customers and existing AT&T customers who activate a new line of service with a smartphone on AT&T NextSM will receive a $100 bill credit.8
The Samsung Galaxy Alpha earned five out of five stars on AT&T’s Eco-Rating system. The system, which rates the environmental factors of AT&T branded handset devices, was created to empower consumer choice around sustainability. For more information about this device’s rating, AT&T’s Eco-Rating System, and how you can join AT&T in making a difference, please visit http://att.com/ecospace.
AT&T is focused on giving our customers a top-notch experience through fast and friendly service. Being recognized as the highest ranked wireless provider for overall purchasing experience by J.D. Power, for the third time in a row, shows this commitment to the customer experience is making a difference.9 AT&T outperformed competitors in the J.D. Power 2014 Volume 2 study and received the “Highest Satisfaction with the Purchase Experience among Full-Service Wireless Providers, Three Times in a Row.”
– See more at: http://about.att.com/story/sleek_compact_samsung_galaxy_alpha_exclusively_available_from_att_on_sept_26.html#sthash.ptXoJPVN.dpuf