Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Upgrade Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 to Ice Cream Sandwich
Everybody wants Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) on his/her Android device. Many users have already loaded up their phones with ICS (mostly unofficial, via hacks or custom ROMs) but still, more and more are discovering it and would want to try it.
While several devices have already tasted Android 4.0, Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 users are just getting their share, since it was just very recently that CyanogenMod 9 (based on Android 4.0.3 ICS) was released.
CyanogenMod 9 for the Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 is unofficial, but it’s still worth trying. This firmware is still in beta stage but it is reportedly stable enough for daily use.
Almost every feature is working in this build, but the developers have noted that the following still are problematic:
- Apps incompatibility
- Signal bars
- Vocal functionality
- No SIM contacts
- Lag in video playback
- Live wallpapers not loading or playing
- Compass not working
- Radio doesn’t work
- Camera not working
Presumably, of course, the developers will be trying to iron out those kinks.
There are also some improvements in this firmware. The firmware is reportedly much faster when used, there is some improvement in the battery performance, issues about flickering have been reduced, Phone.apk is already fixed, library audio files are now updated, and the device sources are already rebuilt. Aside from those enhancements the CyanogenMod 9 animation is also now perfectly working, no more force close errors, and the browser is now working with full GPU acceleration. There’s also a bonus because the developers added a CyanogenMod 9 music player.
Ready to install CyanogenMod 9 on your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830? See the following requirements first and then proceed to the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 (Check our guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830)
- Make a back up of all important data on your device (i.e. call logs, SMS, contacts, files, bookmarks and Internet settings).
- Charge your phone’s battery to at least 60% power.
- Disable antivirus programs in your computer and if you also have any in your device, uninstall it.
- Latest release of the CyanogenMod 9 package for the Galaxy Ace S5830. Get it from here style=”font-weight: bold;”>.
Note: Use this guide at your own risk. We will not be held liable for any damage on your device as a result of following this guide.
If you are now ready to install this ROM, here are the instructions on how to upgrade your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830.
- Connect your phone to your PC and copy the CyanogenMod package file to the SD card of your device.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Turn off your phone and put it into recovery mode by holding down the Menu button and pressing the Power button.
- Create a backup of your current ROM by selecting Backup and Restore > Backup. This is style=”font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline;”>not optional.
- While in recovery mode, select “install zip from SD card” then “choose zip from SD card”.
- Choose the CyanogenMod 9 package file that you copied to the phone.
- Confirm the installation and wait for it to complete.
- Return to main recovery menu, and do a full wipe as follows:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset.
- Select Wipe cache partition.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Select Reboot system now.
When your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 boots up, it will now be running Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich through CyanogenMod 9. Congratulations!