Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Tweaking and customizing the HTC EVO 3D with Leedroid Tweaks
Almost everybody wants to be unique and different from the rest of the pack, and when it comes to personalization, smartphones like the HTC Evo 3D is one device perfect for a serious makeover. In terms of hardware specifications, the Evo 3D is already on top of its game in featuring a 1.2 GHz processor and 4.3-inch touchscreen capable of delivering 3D images onscreen.
On top of that, it also has HTC’s Sense UI, considered by many as an epic skin for the Android OS. But, don’t you know that you can still further customize the already popular Sense UI using a customization package known as Leedroid Tweaks?
Leedroid Tweaks is not your average theme with fancy graphics and such. Rather, it is a powerful enhancement tool that sits on top of the HTC Sense UI. Developed by XDA members j4n87, rochmondo, and monrax, Leedroid Tweaks is an interesting patch that lets users customize almost everything from the phone’s status bar, lockscreen, launcher, and system settings, just to name a few.
Leedroid Tweaks is still a work in progress with the developers constantly fine-tuning the tweaks package to make it perfect. But, rest assured that it is perfectly stable and works like a charm as it redefines your viewing pleasures.
As of its current version, the customization pack still has a few issues, including the following:
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth icons not hidable
- Carrier name doesn’t appear on statusbar again, when custom status bar text is set to empty.
So if you’re tired of the same old familiar Sense UI, then Leedroid Tweaks might just suit your fancy. Continue reading the rest of this guide and learn how you can enhance your HTC Evo 3D with Leedroid Tweaks.
- HTC Evo 3D (GSM / CDMA) — rooted, with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- HTC Evo 3D GSM must be running a ROM with HTC Sense 3.0
- HTC Evo 3D CDMA must be running a deodexed ROM with HTC Sense 3.0
- Backup your important personal phone data and files.
- Charge your battery to at least 50%.
NOTE: Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not be held responsible for whatever damage that these instructions may cause to you or your phone.
- Depending on your handset variant, download one of the following Leedroid Tweaks packages and save the file to your PC:
- For HTC Evo 3D GSM — download here or here (LeeDroidTweaks_v4.0.1.zip, md5sum: 8f258bfd2e65458839a35ea9b2b4a706)
- Connect your HTC Evo 3D to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP file to your phone’s /sdcard directory so that it can easily be accessed.
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Power down your device.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by simultaneously pressing and holding down the Volume Down button and Power button. When you reach the HBOOT screen, select “RECOVERY” and press the Power button. When the screen shows the red exclamation mark, press Volume Up and Power buttons together.
- In recovery, create a Nandroid backup of your phone from Backup and restore > Backup. This will be very useful if you find certain issues with Leedroid Tweaks as you can easily revert to your phone’s previous ROM.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Select “Install zip from sdcard.”
- Select “Choose zip from sdcard.”
- Browse for the downloaded ZIP file and select it. The package will then be flashed to your phone.
- Select “go back” to head back to the main recovery menu.
- Select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed Leedroid Tweaks on your HTC Evo 3D.