Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Update Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101/TF101G to Ice Cream Sandwich via Codename Android ROM
Thanks to Codename Android, the Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101 is getting a dose of Ice Cream Sandwich. For those of you unfamiliar with the name, Codename Android is a completely AOSP-based ROM that focuses on speed and usability.
The team behind Codename Android wants to deliver a completely stock experience to their ROM, as well as include a variety of applications such as Face Unlock, File Manager, Picasa sync for Gallery, and Superuser.
Codename Android has recently released version 1.5.02, for both Wi-Fi-only and 3G models of the Transformer. The ROM has been reported to perform even more smoothly and faster, and brings a number of other improvements.
As this ROM is still a work in progress, there are still a few bugs that need ironing out. The Wi-Fi version of the ROM appears to be stable, whereas the 3G version is still under heavy development. The developers, however, are working on improving the ROM, so we should expect these bugs to be gone in the coming releases.
The ROM and the guide below are specifically written for the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, with the model number TF101 or TF101G. You may check your device model through “Settings > About Tablet.” If your device is not compatible with the ROM, we highly discourage attempting to flash the ROM as it may lead to bricking your device.
If you’d like to try Codename Android’s stock Ice Cream Sandwich experience on your Eee Pad Transformer TF101/TF101G, you’ll need a few things:
- Rooted Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101/TF101G with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. (Check out our guide for rooting the Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101.)
- Make sure that the battery is fully charged. This prevents your Transformer from shutting off in the middle of the flashing process.
- Flashing this ROM may delete your data, so make sure to create a backup.
- Flashable ZIP package of the Codename Android ROM: Wi-Fi only | 3G
Once you have everything, you may now proceed:
- Download the appropriate ZIP package of Codename Android ROM for your specific variant of the Eee Pad Transformer. (See links above.)
- Copy the Codename Android ROM to the root of your Transformer’s SD card.
- Turn off the Transformer.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery by holding down both the Volume Down and Power buttons. Release the two buttons when text appears at the top of the screen. Press the Volume Up button to enter recovery mode.
- Create a Nandroid backup via Backup and restore > Backup. This allows you to revert to your current ROM in case something doesn’t work out with the Codename Android ROM.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” and confirm the reset on the next screen.
- Go to “Advanced”, and then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache”.
- Go to “Mounts and Storage”, and then select “Format System”.
- Select “Install Zip from SD Card” and choose the Codename Android ROM ZIP file.
- When the file has finished flashing, select “Go Back”.
- Select “Reboot System Now”.
Congratulations! You now have Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich running on your Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101/TF101G through the Codename Android custom ROM.