Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Download new Hangouts, Google Launcher and the Nexus 5 wallpaper (Updated: permanent Voice Search FC fix!)
Earlier today, Ron Amadeo began pulling things out of the Nexus 5. These include various APKs, wallpapers, etc and has posted them to the public for everyone to view, download, and install. If you’re having trouble keeping up, here’s what’s been pulled so far.
- Google Hangouts (yes, the one with SMS/MMS and GIF support)
- Nexus 5 Email APK
- Google Keyboard
- DeskClock 3.0
- Google TTS
- Google Camera 2.0.001
- Nexus 5 Wallpapers and the default wallpaper
On top of all the goodies listed above, Phandroid managed to get the launcher extracted and uploaded. To use, you must download all three APKs they have listed. For many, you may run into an error where the Voice Search will force close. We have the solution for you.
- Go into Settings, then Language & Input
- Change the default system language to anything other than English (we used Spanish).
- Go back to the home screen and use Voice Search to search for something in the new language (we chose the phrase “Necesito Android!”)
- Once the search has completed successfully, go back into Language & Input and change the default language back to English.
With that, you should have working Voice Search along with the very attractive Google Launcher. Please note that it may take a couple of tries before it works. Unfortunately, this fix only works until you reboot your device. Once you reboot, you must perform the above steps over in order to get Voice Search to work again. It’s a little inconvenient but for a working Google Launcher, it’s well worth it.
With all these new things flying all over the place, has anyone stopped to taste the KitKat? If so and you have a moment, we’d love to hear your first impressions of the new software Google has given us in the comments below.
Update: Force closes fixed!
The amazing people over at XDA-Developers seem to have found a way to permanently fix the force close issue on the Google Launcher. The good news, it does work (we’ve tested it). The bad news is you have to have root in order to apply the fix. So if you don’t have root you’re stuck with the fix above until a fix comes along for you folks. If you have root, follow the instructions below!
- Head to this XDA post.
- Download the libgoogle_recognizer_ini_I.zip
- Once downloaded, extract the file.
- Move the file to /system/lib
- Voice Search will Force Close one more time. When it’s done, it should work flawlessly.
We’ve tested this method and it seems to be working just fine even through reboots. So if you need a fix right now, here you go! (Thanks to our commentor Athy for the tip!)