What is the difference between the Moto G International version and USA Version?

Posted Apr 11, 2014 by Booya89

1. Booya89

Booya89 Member

I see in Amazon they have 2 versions, international and US. What is the difference between them? I am going to backpack europe this spring and I want to buy a phone that I can use abroad but also use in the US?

Which one should I buy?

2. Andrew Grush

Andrew Grush Team AA Staff Member Team AA

Devices:
    So many that it's getting hard to count... but primary drivers are Nexus 6P and Mate 8 (I switch on and off a lot between them)
    Hey Booya89, welcome to the forums! As to your question, the difference between the two models has to do with the frequencies in which they operate. The US model supports HSDPA 850/1700/1900/2100 in order to play nicely with T-Mobile, whereas the global model operates on HSDPA 850/900/1900//2100.

As to which version you’ll want? It depends. Considering you plan to backpack throughout Europe, you’ll probably want the international model, which will offer the best out-of-country support and will also work beautifully with AT&T and AT&T-based MVNOs.

That said, if you are a T-Mobile user or plan to ever consider switching to the uncarrier, the international model will NOT work with this network, unless you are lucky enough to live in one of the few areas in the country where T-Mobile has re-farmed 1900 support.

In other words, if you ever want T-Mobile support, you’ll want the US model -- just be aware that this model might not play as nicely with certain European carriers and markets. If you don’t need T-Mobile support, you’re better off with the international model.

Hope that helps!

3. Luka

Luka Administrator Staff Member Team AA HAL

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5, Sony SmartWatch 3
    I wonder how long it's gonna take before you figure out that you can't devote so much time to a single answer :D

4. Andrew Grush

Andrew Grush Team AA Staff Member Team AA

Devices:
    So many that it's getting hard to count... but primary drivers are Nexus 6P and Mate 8 (I switch on and off a lot between them)
    Oh trust me, I know -- not my first time around a forum. The huge response was actually a product of a major bout of insomnia. I woke up at like 1AM and couldn't sleep and had nothing better to do really, lol. :)

5. Luka

Devices:
    I know that feel all to well ;)

6. Joe Hindy

Joe Hindy AA App Guy Staff Member Team AA

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG Nexus 5, LG G Watch, NVIDIA Shield Tablet
    You'd also be surprised just how much info tech writers can just rattle off from the top of their head. I've gone in for what I thought was a single sentence answer only to write a 1000 word diatribe on a subject before.

We be writers yo, this is what we do :D

7. Luka

Devices:
    I got a half written novel somewhere that can attest to that :D

8. Soutik

Soutik Member

Devices:
    nexus 5, HTC one V, Moto G, HTC explorer
    This thread looks more like 'can admins or members afford to write big responses' IMO yes they should and clear all doubts.

On the topic of Moto G international. In india at least the Moto G is launched with a dual Sim option which isn't the case in the US version. So yea other than the frequency bands there's a difference of the number of Sim cards supported.

Hope it helps!

Follow me at TeckKarate

9. kerrie.santana

kerrie.santana Member

Hi all!

10. Tushal Bhadang

Tushal Bhadang Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Galaxy Note 3, LG G3
    Hi all, just upgrading soon from iOS iPhone 4S to an LG G3 - based in New Zealand and getting the D855 model with 32 GB storage! Look forward to interactions here...

11. effyshaym

effyshaym Member

Hi everyone?

12. mahmood5678

mahmood5678 Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    iphone4
    Why Samsung does not have patience because why i am asking ,they took out so many phone one year

13. Goikon

Goikon Member Scrap Metal

Hi everyone, Indonesian,love you all

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk