THE Kernel center -all you need to know about kernel/components, personal experience and comparisons

Posted Dec 11, 2014 by ernigeek

?

Do you like this thread?

1. YES!

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. NO! (pls tell me why via comment/message)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, but some things need to be changed/added. (pls tell me why via comment/message)

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Yes, but many things have to be improved/changed. (pls tell me why via comment/message)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Can't decide; +/-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ernigeek

ernigeek Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Note 3 SM-N9005; Nexus 7 2012&2013 both 3g/4g; Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 4g
    Kernel center
    Index:
    1. Kernel questions answered.
    2. Kernel comparison

1.1 What is a kernel?
    • A kernel is in general the ‘connection’ between the hardware and the GUI (Graphical User Interface)/ the user. The kernel communicates directly with the hardware and controls it (e.g. the cpu freq., input/output and much more). So modding the kernel may make cpu/gpu overclocking (higher cpu/gpu freq. than normal), cpu/gpu over- and undervolting (higher or lower voltage per frequency) and much more. Other common mods are sound and I/O sheduler mods (I/O: input/output)
    • The Android kernel is based (similar to the whole android thingy) on the linux kernel and shares many features. For example some chinese tablets (maybe other tablets use the same multiwindow but i am petty sure with the chinese tablets as I had one) got multiwindow support after such feature was implemented in a newer version of the Linux kernel.
    1.2 Why changing the kernel? Why moving from stock kernel to a modified/totally different kernel?
    • As already explainded in 1.1 modding or changing the kernel may add features such as sound boost, cpu overclocking, cpu overvolting/undervolting, I/O sheduler boosts, doubletap2wake, INTELLIPLUG Eco and much more.
    • These features can one the one hand fix the issues and bugs but on the other hand they can also ADD features to the device. This might be resulting in a better performance, a better battery life, the ability to charge your device more quickly, the ability to double tap the device’s screen to unlock and much more.
    1.3 I just read I/O sheduler….. what is that?
    • The I/O sheduler manages the input and output (read/write) requests and it’s goal is to optimize the requests made to the hardware to be more efficient, have a higher throughput and use less battery. There are many different I/O shedulers…. each is different. Here are the most well known ones:
      1. row sheduler: row stands for Read Over Write. This sheduler gives reading tasks priority over writing tasks. This can be very useful because smartphones statistically run more reading than writing tasks.
      2. noop sheduler: the noop sheduler inserts each and every request into an unorderd queue (FIFO to be more precisely). Afterwords so called request merging is applied. (Two request can be merged if the end-sector of one request corrispondents to the sector before the start of the other one and the requests are in the same direction (read or write))
      3. deadline sheduler: the deadline sheduler’s goal is to guarantee a service time for a request. How? By imposing a deadline on every single request. The requests are thereafter sorted by their deadline. You can change the value of the dealine with trickstermod for example.
      4. CFQ sheduler: CFQ stands for Completely Fair Queuing. The sheduler places synchronous request by each process into per-process queues. Then it allocates timeslices for each queue.
      5. there are more shedulers!!! if you know one pls tell me!
    • I/O shedulers are supposed to minimize the power consumption while maximizing latency, thoughput and thereby performance and overall speed.
    1.4 How does samsng cheat during benchmarks and/or what is DVFS?
    • Fist of all DVFS stands for Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling.
    • Implemented by Samsung to temporiarly overclock the note 3 evertime you start a benchmark and to optimize the performance and battery during gaming.
    • DVFS usually causes lags during casual usage after heavy usage.
    • There is a Xposed module available through the playtore which disbles DVFS! (requieres root and and xposed framework)
    1.5 AOSP that sounds like the first agency with its a at the beginning!
    • Well, that is in every imaginable way WRONG:D
    • AOSP stands for Android Open Source Project. AOSP is THE most important differnece between Android and other mobile operating systems. While for example everything of the iOS code is propertary code licensed by Apple, Android is the total opposite of that. Android’s source code is available online for everybody and everybody can actually use it and modify it. That’s why there are so many Android manufacturers and that’s also why there is such a huge community of developers using and sharing the code.
    • If OEM xy wanted to use Android or its code for their own product they simply use the code available online and if they so choose give them back. But they don’t have to! (larger companies might meet someone at google for potential partnerships as this increases efficiency though)

1.6 What exactly are all these (factory) images they are always talking about?
    • first of all these images have to be flashable images. Meaning they can be flashed to relating partitions. For example the boot image is flashed to the boot partition (the boot.img contains the kernel without any configuartions) and so on. In other words these images belong to certain sectors of the devices storage and are the software for them. All this software and sectors are loaded upon boot. Thats why most of the changes made to this software need a reboot in order to take effect. (You don’t need to flash the kernel over the recovery. You can also flash it via e.g. Rashr. and then reboot)

1.7 Are there any other more or less kernel related questions?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  2. ernigeek

Devices:
    2. Kernel comparison:

NoTe:1.No one else than you is responsible for your device.
    2.The kernels are only available for the international variant if not otherwise stated.

SkyHigh TW kernel: (Sammy base only)

pros:

1. Lots of features including fast charge, touch2wake, overclocking, voltage control and much more.
    2. Quite battery friendly + N3 does not get so hot when playing heavy games.
    3. Good support and FAQ section.
    4. Supporting Synapse
    cons:
    1. Had 2 random reboots so far which were potentially caused by the kernel (not sure though)
    2. There are so many options in the Synapse app that from my point of view mostly every ‘normal’ Android user would be confused. (-> little experience required)
    Overall this is a great kernel giving you all the tweaks you need in one handy app which might confuse the ‘normal’ Android user. But hey, you’ll never learn something if you don’t try.
    Download&XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2757805

ZION KERNEL: (AOSP)

pros:

1. Good battery life.
    2. Giving you all the features similar to SkyHigh kernel.
    3. Good thread on XDA which is really helpful.
    4. Synapse support
    cons:
    1. has similar to other AOSP kernels overheating problems. (If its just me TELL ME)
    2. nothing else!
    Unlike most of the AOSP kernels and roms that I have tested, my N3 did not heat up when this kernel was installed. Furthermore this kernel has synapse support, is quite battery friendly and has some awesome tweaks (check XDA-thread).
    Download,XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=54533382&postcount=3

AEL kernel (TW)

pros:

1. full of features
    2. STweaks support
    3. Frequent updates (latest: 12.08.14)
    4. Many tweaks supported (Powersuspend by Yank555.lu,Intelliplug Eco, FastCharge faux, tuned thermal protection by faux123)
    5. Lots of governors/tunables
    6. all these pros result in lots of option which can be either more bettery friendly or more perfomance orientated.
    7. Note 3 with this kernel reaches upto a little over 40,000 points!!
    cons:
    1. users not knowing how to tune may end up with a really bad mix between power saving and performance since I tested it without any changes by me and the kernel was neither good with battery life or performance. Hence you NEED to make changes though STweaks to have a very good kernel[​IMG]
    2. Relating XDA thread might not beginner friendly at all.
    Having all the pros and the very few cons in mind I can ensure you that this is a pretty decent kernel which is 1. definitely worth a try and 2. definitely something you can’t be wrong with.
    Download,XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2747807

ShinTo kernel (TW;also supporting the Tmobile N3 SM-N900T TMO)

pros:
    1. Many tweaks including good ini.d scripts.
    2. Features intelligent memory management.
    3. Supports DriveDroid inculding some tweaks.
    4. Reasonable battery life. (Battery life is partly that good because of the screenoff max frequency setting within synapse!)
    5. eXpanD speaker stereo sound. (this is really awesome)
    6. Precognition governor (ALPHA)
    7. Frequently updated
    8. supports synapse (since v.30xx is out)
    9. Awesome support.... The developer is answering almost every question very quickly:D
    10. Overclock up to 2,8ghz!
    cons:
    1. Still in beta.
    2. nothing bad spotted[​IMG] tell me if find something!!
    Overall this is an AWESOME kernel which has so many features inculding some very VERY revolutionary ones and I hope the dev continues the good work because this kernel is super cool and super performant and super battery friendly and super intelligent when it come to frequency handling and super EVERYTHING!! “I’m loving it”!!! There is hardly a single thing which is not good at this kernel. You need to check it out!
    Download,XDA&dev-page: (Latest test: 12/15/2014)

Blaze-Kernel
    • Pros:
      • Good thread with an actually helping FAQ.
      • Lots of governors are available.
      • Good Power management thanks to "Hello Battery"
      • Overclocking up to 2,8Ghz.
      • FauxFeatures (including support for the Faux App)
    • Cons:
      • Screen Freezes occure sometimes.
      • Deep sleep doesn't always work properly resulting in an sometimes overheated and battery eating Galaxy Note 3 in your pocket or wherever you have it while your Note is in deep sleep mode. Fortunately, this can be fixed with a free app calles "DS Battery Saver" available through the Google PlayStore.
      • Last update was a half year ago.
    Overall, the Blaze Kernel is a considerable kernel with some bugs here and there. Unfortunately the latest update was more or less long time ago and the bugs I mentioned in the cons section have therefore not been fixed. Despite all these problems this is still a kernel I would give a shot although the ShintoKernel is definitely beating this one.

Well that’s it for now - hope this thread helped you a little bit with the decision which kernel you want to install or with answering some of your kernel related questions. If you still have any kernel related questions just ask and I will add them here. Or maybe you just want to correct some of my answers as they might not always be fully correct.

Please let me/us know what you think as sharing experiences is always good.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  3. ernigeek

Devices:
    Just in case

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. ernigeek

Devices:
    Announcements
    1. Pls tel me if you miss your favourite kernel!! There can never be enough!
    2. Lollipop update of this thread is coming... (I'll focus on 5.x in the future)
    3. ...
    If you have any suggestions... just let me know!!!!:):D

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  5. afat75

afat75 Member Scrap Metal

Amazing..thanks for share

6. ernigeek

Devices:
    Im glad you like it...
    Happy and healthy start in the new year...

7. Shawny

Shawny Nightwing Sentient Droid

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Hey man, do you know what happened to the Shinto Kernel? And I also wanted to ask if I flashed it after installing a custom ROM, would it delete general and configurations and app memory?