Smart Watch Suggestion

Posted Mar 1, 2018 by Shadow Wizard

1. Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard Member Scrap Metal

So, i am looking for a recommendation on a smart watch. I was a pebble time user for a long time, but after the announcement that they will stop supporting it thus summer, i am a bit concerned its gonna stop working, so I have started my search. So far I have been through and returned a Fossil, and am getting ready to return my Zen Watch 3 because of all the bugs and problems (see my post yesterday) so I came here for a recommendation. If needed, I have a 6P running Android 8.0.0 rooted.

So here are my needs. please keep in mind that the needs listed may (I don't know) be common to most/all smart watches, but figure I should probably include them in case.
    1) It must work reliably 99.9% of the time. 15 seconds before the watch notifies me of a phone call isn't acceptable. (Hence why I am thinking about ditching my Zen. The Zen Watch 3, as least as it is working for me is a horribly unreliable piece of junk, and Asus tech support is a total joke.)
    2) It must notify me of phone calls, and text messages, and include the contact name in the notification.
    3) I must be able to reply, at least by voice, to text messages I receive.
    4) Must get at least 24 hours out of a charge with light use, and have some battery to spare. EG. My Zen watch, I use it occasionally, and after 24 hours, I usually have 25-%-35% life left. Thats why I got rid of the Fossil. Battery life was horrible.
    5) Sub $500 Canadian (For our US people out there, thats about $400)
    6) Must be available in Canada, and be purchasable from a retailer that permits "I didn't like it" returns. (Such as big box stores, etc, where you can return an item because it didn't suit your needs. After the nightmare I have been though with these watches, it has to be able to go back if its junk IMO)
    7) IF it runs android wear, it must run 2.0+, however I am not insisting it be an android wear watch.
    8) If it doesn't run android wear, there must be a google authenticator app available for it.
    9) It must either have at least one programmable button (programmable button to launch an app) OR have a way to launch an app very quickly. Lets say with less then 2 seconds of work. I map this button to my authenticator app (see #8) because I use it often.
    10) Must run at a decent speed. I find the zen watch crazy slow. I am not used to it taking at times 5-10 seconds to open an app.

Things I would like:
    1) I kinda like Android wear. The selection of apps seems quite nice, and having google assistant right on the watch seems pretty awesome.
    2) An extended battery life. Maybe I was spoiled by my pebble, and my 5-7 day battery life, but I would really like that, if its even available.
    3) Color screen. Not really a need, but would be nice to have.
    4) Decent selection of apps.
    5) The ability to use my watch to take/receive calls, and actually use the watch as a speaker phone. Via bluetooth of course, I am not expecting it to work standalone without a phone.

So maybe I have been spoiled by my Pebble, and ran into a decent watch that just works, and works for my needs. I understand its possible that a watch that meets my needs (other then the pebble) just doesn't exist, and if thats the case, just tell me so. I am willing to accept that an an answer.
    Before I end, I want to thank those of you that actually took the time to read my post, as it is a rather long one. And I want to thank those that took a few seconds to think about my needs and what may be available/useful to me. And a special thank you in advance to those that take the time to actually reply.

2. ridhima

ridhima New Member Droid Minion Drone Droid

the two main options came into mind right after reading this are apple watch 3 and the fitbit versa ; both of which are extremely useful and has some good specification and features .