Should I upgrade Honor 7X to EMUI 8/Oreo?

Posted Feb 13, 2018 by jdurs

1. jdurs

jdurs Member Scrap Metal

I'm not too interested in picture-in-picture since the split screen feature works well here.

I just got this phone to replace my relatively slow Honor 5X and would hate to take a performance hit from upgrading, since I specifically bought this phone to be faster.

Is it worth upgrading to Oreo and will my phone take a performance hit? I have the 4GB model.

2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member Android Overlord

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (N950N), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    I would just for security. Especially if you do any mobile banking.

3. jdurs

jdurs Member Scrap Metal

What about performance? Will it make my phone slower?

Also saw a video on how to hack in a vanilla Android 8 ROM. Would that be better than emui?

4. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member Android Overlord

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (N950N), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    It shouldn't cause any perform issues. You can install a 3rd party OS onto your device is you wish. However doing so will void your device's warranty. Also 3rd party OSes don't have the best post imaging software so the pictures taken on your device may not look as good as when they were taken with the device's stock OS.

5. jdurs

jdurs Member Scrap Metal

Thanks. Don't care too much about the camera but don't want to void the warranty - not this soon anyway.

Will give the upgrade a try and if I'm dissatisfied I'll look into a third party distro instead.

My thoughts on the Honor7x summed up in one phrase: it's a 400 phone for 200. Great performance, amazing screen, excellent camera.

Only drawbacks as far as I can tell: lack of support on US carriers for 4gb version, no USB-C charging, notification light is weak and not easy to see. Other than that you'd be hard pressed to find a better phone for the same price.

6. SAMDD65

SAMDD65 Member Scrap Metal

I signed up for Beta testing and using 8.0 EMUI. Seem more stable and faster. Antutu bechmark improved with Oreo update.

7. jennysmith

jennysmith Member Scrap Metal

You better try more adder

8. jennysmith

jennysmith Member Scrap Metal

Someone should tel m more about blackberry product activities.

9. Chris@HonorUSA

Chris@HonorUSA Member Scrap Metal

If you haven't already, upgrade to Oreo. Android 8 with EMUI 8 on the 7x improves the responsiveness and speed so much. It feels like a totally different device. You also get benefits like face unlock and of course Oreo features.