Phone restored to factory settings by itself while charging!? Can I retrieve my data?

Posted Feb 19, 2018 by Meletel

1. Meletel

Meletel Member Scrap Metal

Hello everyone!

Yesterday I powered off my Moto G3 and plugged it in to charge. After a few minutes I heard a short vibration, which normally means that the phone powered on by itself and is booting. I then checked the screen; I had to put in the PIN for my SIM card, but afterwards there was no pattern I had to draw in order to unlock the phone (I had one set up before!). After unlocking the screen I can see a blue screen with "Welcome" at the top, a choice of language and a yellow arrow ("next") button in the middle and "Emergency" call button at the bottom. And in the top right hand corner are the usual signal strength and battery icons.

When I press the yellow button, I'm asked to connect to a Wi-Fi network. I haven't proceeded beyond that point, as I don't want to mess up my phone even further. Basically it looks like my Moto G3 returned to factory settings and wants me to set it up for first use.

I then tried to reboot the phone a few times. I always get the standard Motorola "stitching" animation and get booted into the described screen. I also went into recovery mode, but almost every single option booted me into the blue screen and one time I got the "No command" screen. But maybe I did something wrong; I'm certainly no expert when it comes to using the bootloader.

Having described all of that, my questions are: is it possible for the phone to have reverted itself to factory settings? If yes - why and how? I have an SD card with a lot of photos, documents and application data that is very important to me. Is it still possible to retrieve the data that was saved on the device?

I would very much appreciate any help with this problem!

Thank you,
    Meletel

2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member Android Overlord

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (N950N), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    If you haven't written over the data that was stored on your device, you should be able to use data recovery software to recover it.

3. smalling123

smalling123 Member Drone Droid

Don't add new data to your phone to prevent from over-written data.
    And it is possible to make a data recovery process, but you need to find a reliable program to help you. If you have backup of your phone, it is also possible to regain the data.