New smartphone for everyday use

Posted Mar 4, 2018 by infinite431

1. infinite431

infinite431 Member Scrap Metal

I'm looking for a smartphone which has good camera(for concerts, some landscapes, not for professional photos) 2 GB of RAM (because I would like to play some games when i'm at travel) and some storage for photos, videos. I can spend 300 pounds (420 $). I would like to see your opinions about that model.

2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member Android Overlord

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (N950N), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    If you look hard enough you could probably get a Samsung Galaxy S5 or Note 4 for that price with change to spare. I have seen them being sold brand new under $400 online.

3. infinite431

I will check them on eBay or other sites. Thank you for answering my question.

4. TheOracle72

TheOracle72 Member Droid Minion

Jake I'm not quite sure why you are recommending 4 year old phones when there are various current and year old mid-rangers that outperform those two. Xiaomi, Honor, Vivo, Oppo, Motorola, Huawei etc.

5. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member Android Overlord

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (N950N), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    I am recommending those devices only because I find that having a user removable battery is an excellent feature. As you could easily carry a couple of spare batteries on your person and swapped out dead batteries in seconds rather than carry a heavy power pack.

6. TheOracle72

Or you could just buy a modern phone with an updated and power efficient soc with optimized software that will last you twice as long as an S5 or Note 4. The S5 wasn't a particularly good phone to start with.

7. infinite431

I chose Xiaomi Redmi Note and I'm quite satisfied. Camera is really good, there is a lot of storage and the phone is quite fast. The most annoying thing is SwiftKey keyboardk cause sometimes it's putting difren words than I choose from recommended words... The other thing is default music player. Most of my albums have all songs, but in one there's no first song and in other there's bad title of one song. So I rate it 7/10...

8. TheOracle72

Go into the settings of Swift Keyboard and disable the predictive text so it will learn your vocabulary. It's not a Xiaomi issue.
    Download another music player. The beauty of android vs ios.