Need help recovering files

Posted Oct 22, 2015 by FTcuber

1. FTcuber

FTcuber Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Oneplus One
    Ok so, today, I decided to backup my pictures so I just took my phone, a Oneplus One, and connected it as a camera (PTP) and copy/pasted my dcim folder. Sadly, when it started, my computer kinda bugged and i had to click cancel on the transfer. Next thing i know, everything in my internal storage is gone. This was my first try at backuping my pictures, as I though google drive did it automatically, but I forgot to actually turn the option on on drive so right now, i just lost 6 months worth of pictures, including pictures of my last trip so I am really sad/mad right now. Since the oneplus one does not have a removable storage and the only options to access the storage are MTP and PTP so I cannot run any recovery software for window and since the device was not rooted, every app i tried (things like wondershare Dr. fone) dont work. Is there any way to like, root the device without loosing anything so that i could run thoses apps or do any of you know an other solution to this problem?

2. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Moderator Sentient Droid HAL

Devices:
    HTC Butterfly 2
    The just solution to this problem is to try running those apps until we are successful. Give this two a try,
    1. http://www.android-recovery-transfer.com/recover-android-photos.html
    2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.baloota.dumpster&hl=en
    Make sure you have drivers installed and USB debugging enabled. If they don't work, try rooting and again try. Guide to root:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/how-to-root-the-opo-for-people-who-want-to.39659/
    Also a dumb thing which you can try, again connect your phone to PC in MTP, and see if there are the files.
    And one more thing, how did you lose the images when you were copying? I have many times cancelled transfer but never such thing happened.
    Good Luck mate.:)

3. FTcuber

Devices:
    Oneplus One
    Thanks for answering :p So, first off, I already ran the file recovery program about 4 times yesterday with each try failing at the analysing part, telling me I should root. The thing is, my opo is on the latest firmware (CyanogenMod 12.1) and rooting cannot be done without unlocking the bootloader, thus wiping everything off the phone ( and I heard on a website that android has an anti-thief function that makes sure to absolutely wipe everything in a way so that old data won't be accessible after) so I can not root my phone without loosing that data forever. As for how it happened, I genuinely have no idea... As a "computer guy", I myself have never seen something like that... The transfer stopped, I clicked cancel, when the canceling was done I unplugged the phone and boom, everything got wiped

4. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Moderator Sentient Droid HAL

Devices:
    HTC Butterfly 2
    Sorry bro, I can't get this. Never came across with something like this.:(
    Maybe other's know. Wait for other's reply..

5. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member Android Overlord

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Have you tried using data recovery software on your phone to see if that will recover your data? If you haven't written anything new onto your phone's internal memory then there is a chance that might work.

6. FTcuber

Devices:
    Oneplus One
    Every data recovery app i triés require root access sadly

7. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member Android Overlord

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    I'm not taking about data recovery apps that you run on your phone. I talking about data recovery software that you use on your computer, that you use to connect to your phone via USB to recover the data.

8. Katherine Miller

Katherine Miller Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    LG
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  9. gloriawood

gloriawood Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Nexus 6p
    It is possible to recover lost files if you need. In fact, it's easy, you should check the debug mode of the phone while you do the file recovery, choose "MTP" or "PTP", then software should recognize both the internal storage and sd card, you can recover files from Android without much fuss.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  10. Qeekay

Qeekay Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    samsung
    Yes ,you are right !

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  11. rhishikesh_sapkal

rhishikesh_sapkal Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    htc desire 526 g+ dual sim
    hi! everyone
    im using a htc desire 526 g+ dual sim with android 4.4.2
    i recently was deleting empty folder using my pc.i deleted a folder named sdcard from my internal storage and suddenly when i tried opening another folder after deleting sdcard folder everything from my internal storage started disappearing i want to recover that data can anyone help me please!!!!!!!
    (mtp or ptp type of device)......
    i even tried using dr.fone, 7-data recovery for android and many such apps
    my phone isn't rooted
    and its been 2 days since the data disappearing event

12. DelucaKoehn

DelucaKoehn Member Scrap Metal

If you lost data from your Android phone,
    The first thing, check out the backup, whether you have synced the data to Gmail account, or saved on your PC.
    Then, you should never add more data to your phone after data loss, cuz they can take up more space, the lost data will be overwritten.
    The last thing, you can try recovery methods, you can also try professional FORecovery Android Data Recovery programs for recovering files from Android.

13. Zambel

Zambel Member Scrap Metal

Remember the importance of your private data like SMS, contacts and photos. Keep a habit to backup regularly.