MOTO E4 - Can I update a Verizon unlocked Moto E4 without bricking it?

Posted Dec 4, 2017 by bighank1

1. bighank1

bighank1 Member Scrap Metal

Have an unlocked Verizon prepaid Moto E4 running with a T-Mobile SIM card on the T-Mobile network..
    Getting messages to update the phone software,

1. Can I do that via Google Play for APPS like Chrome, GMAIL, etc,,
    and also the Android phone system software without bricking the phone?

I do not have the original unlock code.

2. If I do a factory reset will it destroy the network unlocking and brick the phone?

2. awalkonthewildside

awalkonthewildside Member Drone Droid

When you say you do not have the original unlock code is this the from original setup?

Also, in certain upgrades the original sim/account is needed that the device was originally setup with to continue the upgrade, you can reach this point without bricking the device.

Usually an official update will not brick a device. However backup everything first always.

If the device is unlocked, it should remain unlocked following the update although this does depend on how the device was unlocked, legally = should be fine, illegally = might get patched within update.

Ensure you have enough storage available, enough battery, and it is recommended to update whilst connected to a VPN. You can setup an Express VPN trial for 7 days to do this update.

Once connected to a VPN go to settings > about device > update/software update and update via that menu to update the OS. You should not recieve any SMS with update links only via the official update menu/notifications that appear.

Hope that helps a little.
    Either way back everything up, and proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage, moreso it would be the manufacturers fault should you have followed the correct standard procedure to update the OS