LG G5 USB power supply notification

Posted Jul 14, 2016 by Lisa56

1. Lisa56

Lisa56 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    LGG5
    Just about every second I'm getting a USB power supply notification and I can't stop it. I've tried removing the battery, doing a factory reset and this notification won't stop. Is anyone else having this problem and were you able to fix it? I can't even use my phone because the notification won't stop. When I plug the phone into the charger is the only time it stops. I took the phone to Verizon and unfortunately because of a cracked screen and $199 to fix it I can't get a replacement under the warranty and I don't really want a refurb phone because I've had issues with them in the past. Hopefully someone knows how to fix this.

2. killer_v42

killer_v42 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    LG G5
    I am having the exact same issue. I called LG and they told me to send it to their repair center

3. Lieutenant Maxwell

Lieutenant Maxwell Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    LG G5
    I can tell you exactly what's wrong. It's in charging port. There is a gold colored piece that is down inside the port. If you look with a flashlight you can see it. When you plug your cord, it pushes down the piece making a contact with the center piece indicating that the phone is on charge. If the piece does not make a full contact, it will show the usb icon. You can use an eyeglass screwdriver or a safety pin to adjust the piece to make contact. Then it should be fine.

4. Lieutenant Maxwell

Lieutenant Maxwell Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    LG G5
    I can tell you exactly what's wrong. It's in charging port. There is a gold colored piece that is down inside the port. If you look with a flashlight you can see it. When you plug your cord, it pushes down the piece making a contact with the center piece indicating that the phone is on charge. If the piece does not make a full contact, it will show the usb icon. You can use an eyeglass screwdriver or a safety pin to adjust the piece to make contact. Then it should be fine.

A

5. Heather V

Heather V Member Scrap Metal

There are two problems with this particular solution. One, I tried it and it didn't work at all. Two, the problem that I'm having, which is exactly what OP described, only started when I downloaded the last version of Android, which points to a software rather than a hardware issue .

Has anyone found a solution that works? Because I have to keep my phone on silent, (not even vibrate) in order to keep the constant alerts that I need to choose a USB option from driving me insane. Which means that I don't get notification on calls, email, anything because the phone is silent!

6. tedjordan

tedjordan Member Scrap Metal

I tried this, and it seems to work so far. My way of cleaning the port

1) unplug usb cable from wall,
    Disconnect battery mount from phone
    2) dip tip of male usb c cable into isopropyl alcohol (4 to 5mm)
    3) push back and forth into female usb c 7 or 8 times.
    4) repeat steps 3 and 4 twice
    5) unplug usb c and let dry for an hour
    6) put everything back together (undo step 1)

Hopefully this works for you too

7. marmalade

marmalade Member Scrap Metal

Thanks tedjordan, I was sceptical but that seems to have done the trick! You've saved me from insanity, thanks!

8. Nickcaveman

Nickcaveman Member Scrap Metal

Tedjordan. I wasn't even going to try this because it sounded so silly but thanks tedjordan, my phone stopped it's incessant vibrating and I can use it again.

9. Brad S

Brad S Member Scrap Metal

Reading a few of the recmmendatios here I realized what the problem is - I had it too and in sucks up battery power. It's a mechanical problem not a bug. The charging port is dirty which cruded up the gold contacts. Use a air canister to clean the port. I then dipped my power cord head into some alcohol. Then I pushed it in and out of the phone's charger port 5 times. Vibration is gone - and notification with it.

10. djshag

djshag Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    LG G5, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Nexus S x2, SamsungGalaxy Light
    I tried the alcohol solution and it didn't work, or at least not initially. After using a rubbing alcohol soaked sewing needle in the charging port, letting dry and turning back on, the problem persisted. I then, as noted on another forum, ejected the Nano SIM - Micro SD tray and replaced it, then rebooted. The problem persisted still. Lastly, I disabled fingerprint screen lock then re-enabled and that finally seemed to fix it. Maybe I didn't let the alcohol dry long enough or maybe it was one of the other steps or perhaps a combination of all but regardless, after a month, it is no longer doing it!! Thanks for the tips!

11. Brad S

Glad you were able to fix yours too. I work in a dusty place. so it still occasionally happens. If in the middle of the day it starts I find a couple of sharp breaths into the charging port stops it. From your report and others this clearly is a mechanical not software problem. A relief to me as it would seem it can be dealt with more directly now.

12. djshag

Devices:
    Unfortunately, it lasted about an hour and has started again. I'm going to try again with a toothpick and see if it helps. I'll post back the results. I do believe it's something in the charging port and worst case scenario, it looks like I can buy a chin replacement for about $27 on Amazon. Let's see what happens....

13. Brad S

Try using a compressed air can we use for cleaning PCs. Add to that spme quick series of in/outs into the port with the usb cable after you've put some alcohol in the port.

14. djshag

Devices:
    Update:

Thanks Brad. Used both of your suggestion last night and it was still doing it afterwards but I think I may not have allowed the port to dry long enough because no problems yet today!
    BTW: The toothpick dipped in rubbing alcohol removed a lot of "junk".

15. 4WDGreg

4WDGreg Member

I had this same problem. I tried pushing a USB-c connector in and out several times using rubbing alcohol. When that didn't work, I tried using a toothpick to clean out the connector area on the bottom of my phone. I tried each of these steps a couple of times, each time thinking I had done a good job cleaning. At first the problem seemed to go away, but soon enough it came back each time.
    Then I got serious. It was either clean it enough to solve the problem or I was going to buy a new part for the phone.
    I used flat toothpicks and cut sharp angles on them so that I could clean deep into the corners of the cavity that the cord plugs into. I started reaching dust that I hadn't reached before. After awhile, I started to realize that there was a goldish colored sensor or something in the bottom of the opening. After more cleaning, I realized there were two of these gold dots on the same side of the connector. After more cleaning, I realized that there were 2 more gold contacts on the other side of the cavity!
    Once I got everything cleaned up, I cleaned it and dried it with a can of air. Then I put it back together and it seems to be working fine.
    My advice to others with this problem is to clean out that area where the cord plugs into the bottom of your phone until you can clearly see all four of those gold colored dots. Even after I exposed them, I used more alcohol and more toothpick action just to make sure I thoroughly cleaned everything. The gold dots were completely covered with dust before I started and I didn't even realize they were there.