How smartphone cameras work – Gary explains

Posted May 8, 2017 by Gary Sims

1. Gary Sims

Gary Sims Team AA Staff Member Team AA

Devices:
    Note Edge and too many other devices to mention.
    I have a video and article about smartphone cameras: "Everything you need to know about how your smartphone's camera works, from lens to apertures to sensor sizes and megapixels."

Read the full post: https://goo.gl/lRLOsb and watch the video here:

Any questions or comments?

2. Kunal Narang

Kunal Narang Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    Huawei Honor 5X
    Hi Gary, in the camera settings I can see something like 1/100,1/200,1/300. What do those numbers mean?

3. Gary Sims

Gary Sims Team AA Staff Member Team AA

Devices:
    Note Edge and too many other devices to mention.
    If you could show me a screenshot that would help, but my initial guess is that those are the shutter speeds, which are expressed as a faction of a second.

4. stefanmz

stefanmz Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Alcatel Pixi 4
    Hi Gary! So are the shutter speed and exposure the same thing or there is a shutter speed and there is an exposure? Because I understood that shutter speed controls exposure but you can tweak exposure without changing shutter speed right? I mean there is exposure separately from shutter speed right?

5. haW001

haW001 Member Scrap Metal

Why the heck an iPhone has for example 2MB photo taken with the same resolution as an android phone but the android phone has around 4MB ? Moreover when you trim the photo just a little bit (just a few pixels literally) you will get even a better result in photo size on android in comparison to iOS (done it on HTC e8). I don't know why it is like it is but it is :). Could you say a bit more about this or maybe try it with the iPhone. I tried it only on android phones. I'm interested in your findings ;)