Device Storage Encryption

Posted Feb 20, 2017 by MrRobot

1. MrRobot

MrRobot Active Member Droid Minion

Is the Honor 6X encrypted straight out the box? As I can't seem to find a way to enable encryption in the Settings menu?

2. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member Android Overlord

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Yeah, I think Huawei enable device storage encryption on all their devices by default with the release of EMUI 4.1

3. Charlene Carter

Charlene Carter Active Member Droid Minion

That is great. It means that people who aren't tech savvy won't have to worry about their data being stolen from their Honor 6X :)

4. Jake Lam

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    Yeah, but you need to have either password or fingerprint device unlocking enabled first. Before your device's internal storage will be encrypted.

5. Rade21

Rade21 Active Member Droid Minion

I wish they would make this a default feature on all android devices.

6. Jake Lam

Devices:
    You never know what Google and android OEMs will do in the future as it may happen.

7. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap Member Droid Minion

It's interesting that only a few android OEMs enable encryption on their devices by default.

8. Lucy Feliciano

Lucy Feliciano Member Droid Minion

I really like having this feature enabled after I've registered a password or fingerprint on the Honor 6X during the setup process.

9. MPH

MPH Member Scrap Metal

Just so you know, the Honor 6X doesn't have any storage encryption enabled at all. Yes, Android has had it as an option since Marshmallow however the stock EMUI ROM used on this device does not have it available. After emailing and calling, the development team verified for me. There may be some way to activate it without flashing a new ROM, I do not know a method as of yet. It most likely would involve rooting and I'd imagine, definitely unlocking the bootloader. Some phones do have it enabled by default, even some from Huawei. Usually you will see an option during setup. Once enabled you will have to set a pin or pattern. This will be in addition to a fingerprint if you choose for security reasons. If you don't see this option on your device (Such as the Honor 6X) then it is either bugging out or can not be encrypted. This will also force you to input your password when starting up the phone to even access the splash screen (In most cases).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:36 AM