Asus ZenPad Z500M quick charge

Posted Dec 2, 2016 by Jolo100

1. Jolo100

Jolo100 Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Nexus 7
    I am thinking about purchasing a Asus ZenPad Z500M. The specs look great at the $299 price point. I have a question that I hope you can answer.
    It supports Quick Charge 3.0.... However, it appears that I have to purchase additional hardware to take advantage of this.
    Is there a specific 3.0 Quick charger that is needed for purchase? If not, have any recommendations?

I also would like to know if I can get a wireless charger that uses this technology.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

2. TheSchwartz

TheSchwartz Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    OnePlus One, Asus Transformer Infinity Pad
    Be carefull buying Asus pads, I've got an Asus Transformer Infinity Pad, and it is as slow as a snail. Asus stopped relatively fast making updates for this and after the last it has become so slow. Asus just proposes me to factory reset when I contact support, notbhelpful so I am considering putting cyanogen on it.

A shame, Asus made a great tablet and forgot all about supporting it...:confused:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  3. Jake Lam

Jake Lam Well-Known Member Android Overlord

Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (N910C), Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi Edition, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T3
    You could probably get a Qualcomm Quick Charger to charge your device fast if your device uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon SOC.

4. Jolo100

Devices:
    Nexus 7
    I love the name, May the Schwartz be with you !!
    I don't know how familiar you might be with the ZenPad Z500M, but the specs and the $299 price makes it attractive to me.

Yes the Transformer Pad was a lemon. But I don't think any companies give decent support anymore. Do you have any recommendations of a better valued tablet..WiFi only would be fine.

I am adding the specs on it as a FYI
    9.7" LED Backlight QXGA (1536 x 2048) Screen
    IPS Panel
    10 finger multi-touch support
    Anti-fingerprint coating
    Full lamination
    Active Pen Support
    ASUS Tru2Life Technology
    • MTK MT8176 Dual-Core 2.1 GHz +Quad-Core 1.7 GHz , 64bit - CPU

• 4GB RAM

• 64GB - RAM
      5GB Life Time ASUS Webstorage Space *2
      ; with an additional11 MB for 1 year(s)*2
      100GB of Google Drive space for 2 years.*2

• IMG GX6250 650MHz - Graphics

• WLAN802.11 a/b/g/n/ac - Networking
      Bluetooth V4.2+EDR +A2DP
      Support Miracast

• 5 MP Front Camera ( 1080p Video Recording )
      8 MP Rear Camera ( 1080p Video Recording )

• 2 x Premium Speaker with DTS HD Premium Sound, DTS headphone:X, Sonic Master technology, Supports aptX®, Hi-Res

• 1 × Micro USB Type-C (USB2.0/power delivery)
      1 × 2-in-1 Audio Jack (Headphone / Mic-in)
      1 × Micro SD Card Reader, up to 128GB (SDXC)

• G-Sensor/ E-compass / Gyroscope / Light / Hall Sensor /fingerprint sensor/ Sensor Hub

• 10 hours battery life; 22Wh Li-polymer Battery *3

• GPS & GLONASS

• Silver, Gray

• 240.5 x 163.7 x 5.8 ~ 7.15 mm (LxWxH)

• 430 g

• ASUS Z Stylus supported

Jon

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. Jolo100

Devices:
    Nexus 7
    Jake,
    I think that I am confused about the Zenpad Z500M and quick charging.
    For me, it is not so easy to get clear documentation on the Z500M from Asus.
    I know it supports quick change 3.0, and there seem to be a bunch of Quick Charge 3.0, 18W adapters.

6. TheSchwartz

TheSchwartz Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    OnePlus One, Asus Transformer Infinity Pad

Well if you are fast getting it rooted and installing the cyanogen mod when it is possible to get the programs to root it and do the upgrade, the tablet looks ok :)

I have problems getting the programs to root the old Transformer Infinity pad. Asus delivers great quality hardware so I hate that my pad is sitting there prone and slow...

7. Jolo100

Devices:
    Nexus 7
    I don't even know where my Transformer Pad is... I do have a Nexus 7, made by Asus, which has been great.
    With the specs of the Z500M, it appears to me that the closest Samsung equivalent cost about $500 and has less Ram and storage. The Z500M is at $299. If you can recommend anything for me to look at that you might recommend, it would be great.

I don't know what rooting would be like on the Asus Z500M.

About the Asus support, I am concerned about it ever allowing a push upgrade to Nougat or even 6.01. I am trying to get a commitment from Asus on this. Last night I was speaking to Asus tech support and the guy actually just kept me hanging a customer survey came on about the call..

Jon

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  8. Gsaturn

Gsaturn Member Scrap Metal

my Zenpad is running version Android 7.0. but it says it is a model P027. Supposedly the same as Z500M. who knows so many sellers lie these days. I just recently found the zpen is sold separately.
    I chose this in a comparison with an apple Ipad air 1st gen, and a Galaxy Tab S. The report I read said it was the better product of the three, I sold the Galaxy tab S because it does not have a digitizer.

I did not pay attention to the specs about the C type USB port. However, they make lots of adaptors (to connect other stuff).
    I use this as a reader for my e book text books and taking hand notes (voice and pen). I found a Bluetooth keyboard in my junk box that works. I am looking for a decent folio that will hold ID and other cards so I can carry it as a day book.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  9. Gsaturn

Gsaturn Member Scrap Metal

best fast charger and fast charger app? any one?

10. LenaelTheElf

LenaelTheElf Member Scrap Metal

After a lot of reading on the Web, emails with Asus support and a bad purchase, I can give you all the info in regard to the Z500M FastCharge.

1/ any Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 will NOT quick charge your tablet. I bought one from Ugreen certified QC3 18W (5V/3A 9V/2A) and it's not charging faster than the original Asus charger

2/ To Fast Charge your tablet, you need an ASUS 18W Bootmaster charger. I bought it from an Asus accessories reseller, following Asus support recommendation, where the ref is CHARGZEN3BOOSTWH and the PN 0A001-00502800 (can not put the link here as I'm too new in the forum...).
    When I use it I do have the + sign after the battery icon and it does say "Fast Charge". But I have to admit even if it charges slightly faster, it certainly does not go from 0 to 60% charge in 30 minutes !!
    3/ I think this is using the same "Fast Charge" technology as Samsung as if I use a S8 Fast Charge charger it does display the + sign for a second, then normal charge, then nothing and then it loops again (fats, normal, nothing). I suppose this charger is not powerful enough as it is only 1.87A in 9V, to compare to the 9V/2A of the Asus one.