ernigeek Member Droid Minion

Devices:
    Note 3 SM-N9005; Nexus 7 2012&2013 both 3g/4g; Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 4g
    You have to root!

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member Battle Droid

Devices:
    Google Nexus 6
    Well, @edwinevangelistafer I would say you can't do that until or unless you are unrooted user, You need to root your device for being able to transfer apps to SD card.

PS: Rooting your device means you are going to void you warranty, think about it before moving ahead.

4. edwinevangelistaferido

edwinevangelistaferido Member

Devices:
    xperia z1,galaxy pocket,msi 7,s3
    can you please give me at least a site that can teach me how to root my z1? (newbie here)

5. John Farrell

Devices:
    Google Nexus 6
    Try heading over to the XDA thread available over here, It will guide you in carrying out the rooting process.

Disclamer: Proceed at your own risk :)

6. stephenstud

stephenstud Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    Iphone 4S, Samsung S4, Samsung S5
    I don't know why people think it voids the warranty... There was a court document, that's available to the public that states different....

7. John Farrell

Devices:
    Google Nexus 6
    Nope it voids warranty and the reason why I am saying this is because I have gone through all this like take example of samsung they have knox counter to find out wether the device is rooted or not previously what some users are doing is they root their device enjoy it like a hell and then reset the Knox counter back and head over to the support telling that ohoo my gosh it broke, they are claiming warranty even after .... but now things have changed now if you tried doing such trick I am sure you will get yourself caught red handed as now the know counter can't be reset back. So, from my experience I would say no rooting do voids warranty.

8. ernigeek

Devices:
    Its also possible to set the standard storage for apps to externel over adb but i have not tested that yet myself.
    Maybe just try :D
    Type the following adb command to set the installation storage to external.
    First of all you need adb oufcourse....
    you can get an installer (15 seconds ADB) from here: (I'm somehow unable to post links:D so just google 15 seconds adb xda)
    after having completed the installation process just press windows + R, type cmd and hit enter.
    then type: cd c:\adb
    then connect your android device to your pc an enable USB debugging under developer options. If developer options section in the settings is not visible go to about phone > and tap 15 times on the build number.
    Now continue with the pc.
    Type: adb devices
    to ensure that your device is connected properly. (if there is no ID displayed -> not connected -> check whether usb debugging is enabled -> reconnect the device -> retry adb devices command).
    Type: adb shell
    Type: pm set-install-location 2
    to change the install location to external.
    now you're done.
    If something is wrong just open up the command window again (windows + R, type cmd and hit enter), type cd c:\adb ; then: adb shell ; then pm set-install-location 0
    and boom you're back to default.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  9. ernigeek

Devices:
    just tested it!!!!!! Works great on Galaxy note 3.... May work better if you set the install location after a clean install because more apps will be installed on the external memory then. :):specs:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  10. himanshu sojitra

himanshu sojitra Member Drone Droid

Devices:
    karbonn sparkle V ( Android One)
    Before rooting your device you should apply other methods which may give you exact solution that you want. First try download certian apps which transfers your files or apps to SD card.if this don't work try other method but rooting should be the last resort.

11. Gautam Chatterjee

Gautam Chatterjee Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    karbonn a111, micromaX canvas 2 colors a120, Samsung Galaxy S3 neo
    So that makes the presence of ext. Sd card slot in the device a joke. Cheers to google what a development.

12. Gautam Chatterjee

Gautam Chatterjee Member Scrap Metal

Devices:
    karbonn a111, micromaX canvas 2 colors a120, Samsung Galaxy S3 neo
    Ha ha I have even tried those. They end up failing all the time.

13. John Farrell

Devices:
    Google Nexus 6
    Well, not exactly actually this is the problem with the Android KitKat but again over Lollipop version it has been fixed. So, I would say if you want to move out of the problem then Lollipop might be a solution if you are lucky enough to get Lollipop updates pushed by your vendor other than that you have end up in rooting your device for that too !! :(

14. Akash Jain

Akash Jain Moderator Sentient Droid HAL

Tried changing install location using ADB as well as terminal emulator on my rooted Galaxy Star Pro, but it says insufficient storage available even when I have empty SD card