Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Upgrade Samsung Captivate to Ice Cream Sandwich via Dark Knight ROM
The Ice Cream Sandwich fever is still on as several ICS-based custom ROMs continue to be released for various devices. Users are definitely loving the efforts of the developers who are letting them experience Ice Cream Sandwich, especially since official ICS updates for most phones still have not started rolling out.
Among the numerous Android phones for which an ICS ROM has been developed is the Samsung Captivate. The Dark Knight custom ROM, for instance, brings Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich to the said phone.
The Samsung Captivate now joins the long list of devices that had already received unofficial Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. XDA Developers member b-eock fully ported the Dark Knight ROM to Samsung Captivate from AOSP sources for the Galaxy Nexus. So far, the ROM is working well, with the following features (quoted verbatim from the development page):
- Engine: Android 4.0.3 release Nasif modified, changed, improved
- Very Fast System
- New More Black Theme
- Zoom on camera
- init.d Support
- Touch to focus
- Voodoo Color
- Themed APP
- Insert Busybox
- Xloud ported enable to default – improve sound speaker
- Sd card tweaks speed
- Tweaks in Build.prop
- Best battery life [NO Android OS BUGS]
- WiFi Tethering
- HD 720p Video recording
- 4.0.4 G-apps
If you want to give this ROM a try, let’s go over the list of the things that you will need for the installation. Be sure not to forget anything.
Also, before you proceed to the instructions, let me just remind you that this guide is applicable to only the Samsung Captivate.
- Rooted Samsung Captivate with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Make sure that your battery is charged to a minimum of 50%.
- Backup your apps and important data in your phone ( i.e. bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs (internet settings), etc.)
- Download the Dark Knight ROM from here (Dark Knight_1.0_cappy_test.zip, 156 MB)
NOTE: Use the information in this article at your own risk. We shall not be responsible for any damage arising from your use of this information.
Here’s how to upgrade the Samsung Captivate to Ice Cream Sandwich via Dark Knight ROM:
- Copy the Dark Knight ROM file to the internal SD card on your phone.
- Power down your phone.
- Reboot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Make a Nandroid back up of your existing ROM. (Select Backup and Restore > Backup from the menu.) Do not skip this step. This is for your own safety.
- Wipe your phone data completely:
- Select Wipe data / factory reset. Select Yes on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition. Select Yes on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu of recovery, select Advanced, and then Wipe Dalvik Cache. Select Yes on the next screen
- From the main menu of recovery, choose Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard, then choose the Dark Knight ROM file that you have copied to your phone earlier. Installation of the ROM will now start.
- Once the flashing is done, select “go back” and then select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
- It will take a long time for your phone to boot up. Just wait, and when it boots fully you can now enjoy Ice Cream Sandwich on your Samsung Captivate.
Congratulations! You have successfully upgraded your Samsung Captivate to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich, courtesy of the Dark Knight ROM.