Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
AT&T will be adding 1,500 to 3,000 cell sites per year for the 'foreseeable future'
According to Bill Smith, president of AT&T network operations, AT&T will likely be adding between 1,500 and 3,000 macro cell sites per year for the”foreseeable future” as part of an effort to improve network coverage and capacity. AT&T already plans on deploying spectrum bands for LTE service, which the FCC will be auctioning later this year.
Smith also gave additional details as to how AT&T will be dealing with increased data traffic in the upcoming future:
- AT&T will deploy 40,000 small cells on its network by the end of 2015.
- AT&T has already deployed both indoor and outdoor small cells in 30 states.
- AT&T is using tower-mounted radio heads to prevent power loss to its antennas to boost signal strength.
- AT&T will embrace carrier aggregation, which bonds together disparate bands of spectrum to allow for faster speeds.
- AT&T is going forward with its User-Defined Network Cloud initiative.
Let’s just hope AT&T actually informs local neighborhoods before they put these towers up: