This week, the first curved phone landed, two new Chromebooks launched, we feasted on Kit Kat leaks, we finally saw a Mini flagship phone, we learned about Android TV, and we heard some more rumors about the Galaxy S5.
Curved phones are real
Finally, curved phones are a reality. However, as it usually happens, reality is nowhere nearly as exciting as our expectations.
- Samsung Galaxy Round announced with 5.7-inch curved display, finally confirming all those rumors
- It’s official: LG starts mass producing flexible displays for smartphones
A leaked service manual confirmed the specifications of the Nexus 5. Google could go ahead and release it now.
Kit Kat leaks torrent
The floodgates are open: Android 4.4 Kit Kat leaked extensively this week, with the first credible images of the homescreen and information on several new features.
- Google Hangouts update to bring SMS/MMS integration, report says
- Android 4.4 KitKat to bring a revamped “Downloads” interface
- Rumor: Location settings getting a makeover in Android 4.4 KitKat
- Nexus 5 design, Android 4.4 KitKat features detailed in new photo leak; LG-D821 gets second Bluetooth SIG sighting
Google’s other operating system continues its steady march to mainstream. This week, HP and Acer released two affordable and attractive Chromebooks.
- Acer undercuts HP with C720, a $250 Haswell-powered Chromebook
- HP Chromebook 11 announced, features IPS display and Pixel-inspired aesthetics
Behold, the mini flagship
We’ve been clamoring for a true Android flagship with a smaller screen for months, and Sony is finally set to deliver it. The Xperia Z1 f (Z1 Mini) launched in Japan this week.
Compelling evidence surfaced that Google TV will be rebranded as Android TV in the close future. Android everywhere!
More Galaxy S5 rumors
Samsung is said to be having trouble selling the Galaxy S4, so it’s now preparing to release the Galaxy S5 early next year. How early? Rumors say as soon as February.
- Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S5 will be waterproof and dustproof, no ‘Active’ model required
- Rumor: Galaxy S5 release date set for February, specs to include 64-bit octa-core CPU
What’s the biggest story in Android this week? Tell us in the comments.