Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
There was a deluge of Apple-related news this week, but that doesn’t mean news has been boring on the Android front! Samsung had a few choice words to say about the larger iPhones, the first Android apps arrived on Chrome OS devices, we heard several interesting rumors about HTC’s upcoming devices, the integration of Hangouts and Google Voice finally began, Nvidia confirmed the Nexus 9, we learned more details about Samsung’s upcoming full-metal phone, and Dell surprised us with a very exciting tablet.
Joe’s Google Play Weekly
Interested in new apps or updates to your old favorites? Coming out each Friday, Joe Hindy’s segment Google Play Weekly covers the most exciting developments on the Android app front. Play Weekly includes the biggest app-related news and the top trending apps you shouldn’t miss each week. The segment is available both in video format and as a written companion, with handy links to each app mentioned. Check out the latest edition here.
Forums and comments
Our community is growing nicely, with news of the grand opening bringing in an influx of new members over the past week. With over 17,000 members and thousands of threads, the AA forums are beginning to take shape as a friendly community welcoming all Android fans. Feel free to join here.
Derek is about to flip the switch on further integration between the site and the forums – soon, you will be able to leave comments to our posts using your forums user ID, though you will still be able to use Disqus if you prefer it. Let us know what you think of the idea!
Coming up next
Now that Android OEMs and Apple released their best products, we’re looking forward to see how all these hot new devices compete for our wallets this holiday season. Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus, Xperia Z3 Compact vs vs Galaxy Alpha, Android Wear vs Apple Watch, Moto 360 vs LG G Watch R… the next couple of months are going to be interesting!
Then there’s the Nexus 9 and the official launch of Android L release. What’s even more exciting is the wave of Material-themed updates that the launch of the next version of Android will trigger.
Darcy, Derek, and Josh are hitting Hong Kong next week to show you how the new iPhones compare to the best of Android. There may be some drop testing involved, just saying…
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here some other interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Awards: In this video roundup, Josh presents the very best products of IFA 2014
- Tech talk: Gary Sims explains why 64-bit is beneficial for users and developers
- First impressions: Josh finally received his Moto 360, and these are his impressions
- Opinion: Are Apple’s new devices a sign of weakness?
- Tips and tricks: Jon gives you a few pointers on how to save battery life and data on your Android
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
iPhone goes big
- iPhone 6 and 6 Plus vs the best of Android: has Apple caught up?
- Here come the new iPhones: what you need to know about them
- Apple Watch vs Android Wear: what’s different, what’s similar?
Android meets Chrome OS
- HTC Double Exposure event set for October 8
- HTC is building a rugged Bluetooth camera, could take on GoPro – report
- New report claims HTC Android Wear watch is still coming after all
Hangouts Voice integration
- Hangouts introducing free voice calling to phones in US and Canada (Update: APK!)
- Google Voice merging into Hangouts, starting now
Dell’s amazing tablet
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: