Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
Another busy week in the world of Android: our Nexus fever has reached new highs thanks to new reports about Google’s upcoming devices, Samsung shared some bad news, Motorola’s Droid Turbo stopped being a secret, HTC launched its selfie-focused Desire Eye and RE Camera, Lenovo surprised us with its quirky new Yoga tablets, and Google released big updates to several of its Android apps.
Welcome to Android Authority this week!
It was crunch time for some members of the Android Authority team this week. Darcy continued his globetrotting with a visit to New York, where he attended HTC’s Frequencies meetup, ahead of the launch of the Desire Eye and RE camera. On Thursday, Darcy was joined by Josh in the Big Apple, for Sony’s US Xperia Z3v launch event. You can see the results of their hard work in the Desire Eye, Sony Xperia Z3v, and Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro hands-on posts.
As Luka gets accustomed with his new role as a community manager, the overall quality of our social channels should go up a notch. We’re targeting the unsavory stuff first – spammers and trolls beware – and then looking at how we can further improve our growing community. Just drop Luka a line if you have any complaints or ideas, or simply ping us on Google Plus, Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube.
The YouTube guys were pretty prolific this week: besides tackling three launch events like a champ , Josh also put up the much anticipated Note 4 review, while Kevin and Lanh published their impressions of the Galaxy Alpha and the Galaxy S5 Mini.
Coming up next
Next week is going to be amazing, at least if rumors are right! In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past few weeks, that’s because Google will officially launch Android L, Android Wear 2, Nexus 9, and the Nexus 6. There probably won’t be a press event, but we do have an idea when to expect all this sweet Android news – Thursday, October 16. Fingers crossed we’re right!
It’s not Christmas yet, but you could think so looking at the awesome giveaway together we’ve put up with the fine folks at Opera. “Presents” coming until Halloween include a Note 4, Xperia Z3, Moto X, and a Nexus 9. Throw your name in the hat here.
Our regular Sunday Giveaway is still on: we’ve given away seven OnePlus Ones, and now it’s time for the eighth. Here’s where you can sign up.
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here some other interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Review: The highly anticipated Galaxy Note 4 review is here!
- Roundup: Here’s what to expect from the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9
- Giveaway: This is probably the best giveaway we did this year!
- Review: Cheap smartphones don’t have to be lousy smartphones
- Explainer: Gary Sims dispels some of the myths surrounding the Note 4 and 64-bit
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
It’s (almost) Nexus time
- Samsung to build $15 billion chip plant to bolster its falling profits
- Samsung expects Q3 profit to plummet 60% year over year
HTC Eye and Re Camera
Google apps refresh
- Chrome 38 for Android arrives to the stable channel
- Google Play may reportedly introduce app trials, letting you try before buying
- Chromecast Backdrop update makes your TV a better picture frame
- Google Voice finally gets carrier MMS support
- Hangouts gets a new Chat Heads-style app for Windows and Chrome OS
- (Updated with hands-on video) Google Play Store v 5.0 brings lots of Material changes
Time for some Yoga
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: