Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week – November 15, 2015
Android fans, this week brought us the first luxury Android smartwatch, from Tag Heuer; Google is reportedly discussing making its own phone; Xiaomi launched new affordable devices; Samsung and Qualcomm launched their powerful new processors; Google open sourced its AI software, released a new version of Android Wear, and launched the YouTube Music app; Cyanogen hinted at its plans for 2016; and we got our first glimpse at the Android-powered BlackBerry Vienna.
Inside AA HQ
Can you feel it in the air? Holidays are around the corner, and that – along some other, actually meaningful things – means buying the right gifts for friends and family. If you’re looking to start Christmas shopping early, we’ve already compiled all the info we have on the best Black Friday deals. Check out our Black Friday guide for deals on mobile, electronics, and IT, and come back for updates through the end of November. And, if you just need a little inspiration, our year-end gift guides for all budgets are coming soon.
This week we’re giving away three smartphones in our Sunday Giveaway. Want to win a BLU Pure XL? Head over here!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Unboxing: Fresh out of the box, the beautiful OnePlus X
- Review: With the V10, LG managed to thoroughly impress Lanh
- Opinion: The Nexus 5X is a great phone, but it’s not perfect – Matt weighs in
- Review: Bailey reviews the affordable Zenfone 2 Laser
- Opinion: Rooting and Roming: are you still into it?
- Opinion: In his first feature piece, John asks: should Google make Android more like iOS
Top news of the week
- Xiaomi just released a 20,000 mAh Mi power bank with Quick Charge 2.0 for $24… AND a fitness band for $15
- ‘Enhanced’ Xiaomi Redmi 2A boasts double RAM and ROM
- Xiaomi absolutely killed it on Singles Day
- Metal Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 Pro spotted at TENAA
Android Wear, with a Swiss touch
- The TAG Heuer Connected is the first luxury Android Wear smartwatch
- Android Wear no longer limited to Bluetooth and WiFi; cellular support on board
Snapdragon 820 vs Exynos 8890
- Qualcomm officially unveils the Snapdragon 820
- Snapdragon 820 vs Exynos 8890: the 2016 mobile SoC battle begins
Google giving away its AI brain
Google apps updates
- Google Maps adds offline turn-by-turn navigation, search, and more
- Google rolling out an update that simplifies Hangouts video calls on the web
- YouTube Music finally launches on Android, 14-day free trial available as well
- Google Wallpaper Art extension will make your Chromebook look gorgeous
- Google Play Books updated with better comics support, free issues up for grabs
Cyanogen in 2016
- Official Cyanogen apps now available for CyanogenMod users with the C-Apps package
- Cyanogen teases multiple cheap devices for next year, CM13, and maybe a flagship
BlackBerry Vienna: second Android phone
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.