Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week: May 3, 2015
Android fans, this week brought us the much anticipated LG G4. Featuring a striking leather outfit, a vibrant display, and a top-notch camera, LG’s device shapes up to be one of the top smartphones of the year and go head to head with Samsung’s Galaxy S6. In other news, Microsoft announced that Android apps will be able to run on Windows devices with just a few modifications; an intriguing rumor surfaced about a possible Xperia P successor; the divorce between Cyanogen and OnePlus was all but made official; Google made it possible to control tons of apps with voice commands; and we’ve got a glimpse of the upcoming OPPO R7.
Inside AA HQ
The month that just ended brought as a ton of stuff to talk about in our world of Android. We’ve got new devices like the HUAWEI P8, LG G4, Xperia Z4, and Xiaomi Mi 4i. And we got some cool developments straight out of Google HQ, like Project Fi and Google Now’s brand new abilities.
The month of May shapes up to be just exciting. On the new device front, we have Oppo’s R7 and the release of the Zenfone 2 in North America. But what we’re really excited about is, of course, Google I/O, scheduled for May 28-29. Will we see a preview of the next version of Android? Will we see new devices? What surprises does Google have in store? Frankly, we can’t wait to find out!
This week we’re giving away another Galaxy S6 Edge, the hottest Android device of the moment. And it’s really easy to get your sweepstakes tickets: just go here and follow the instructions!
Android Authority Podcast
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Opinion: Nirave looks at Nokia’s chances to re-become a phone superpower
- Tech talk: Gary interviews ARM’s Cortex A-72 technical lead
- Feature: The EU is charging Google over anti-trust accusations. But do they have a point?
- Opinion: Matthew explains why he prefers the Galaxy S6 over the LG G4/
- Opinion: While Andrew actually likes the LG G4 better
- Versus: Edge or no Edge? That is the question
- Feature focus: Josh takes the LG G4 for a camera spin
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Cyanogen is done with OnePlus
LG G4 is here
A wild Xperia P2 rumor appears
Google app updates
- You can also set alarms, reminders, and send notes to your phone from Google Search
- Quick reply functionality comes to the Google Messenger app in new update
- Google releases new Password Alert Chrome extension to help keep your account safe
- Google rolls out custom voice actions to make talking to your apps much easier
OPPO R7 peak
Windows 7 wants some Android love
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: