Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
The technology world never sleeps, and it definitely doesn’t take any vacation time either. So, while we’re in the midst of summer here in the northern hemisphere, there was still plenty to talk about in the Android world, with cool updates from Google, a nice treat for Chromecasts users, new devices, juicy rumors, and more.
Yes, AA HQ was relatively quiet this week, but it wasn’t because we were all busy watching the World Cup, we promise. Let’s take a look back!
Android Authority this week
We’re always on the lookout for fresh talent to add to the team, and this week you might have noticed a new face – Erik Eggers will be using his extensive mobile experience to impart a balanced perspective on Android news. His past gigs include stints at T-Mobile, Verizon, and a certain mobile company based in Cupertino, California. Expect more from Erik in the coming weeks.
More site upgrades
We’ve barely cut the ribbon on our revamped index page, and Derek is already mixing up some more awesome sauce for the website and the forums. We want to simplify navigation around the website, to make it easy to find satisfaction for all your Android needs without ever leaving AA (insert overly attached girlfriend meme here). If you’ve given our forums a look and liked what you saw, you’ll be happy to know that Derek is also working on integrating the forum and the post comments into one big, happy community.
Have you checked out Sound Guys yet?
If not, you should. Sound Guys is AA’s sister (daughter?) website and YouTube channel, and we think you’ll love it if you’re into headphones, speakers, and all things audio. Sound Guys is pretty much Kris Wouk’s baby, an all-around awesome guy whose interest in technology is only surpassed by his love for music. If you’re looking for detailed, accurate, and well thought-out reviews of audio products, Kris is your man.
As I’m writing this, there are almost 1300 registered members in the AA forums community. Going over a thousand users is a tiny, tiny milestone in the grand scheme of things, but like all young parents, we’re proud and excited. Activity and engagement have been picking up, and we haven’t even had our grand opening yet. Anyway, if you’re looking for a place to hang out with fellow Android fans (the friendly kind!), give our forums a try!
Giveaway: OnePlus One (another one!)
Last week we put up a sweet 64GB OnePlus One as the prize in our Sunday Giveaway, the winner was Blazej R. from Poland. Bummed you didn’t win it? You get another chance this week! It’s an international giveaway, so anyone can throw their name in the hat. Enter this week’s giveaway.
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here’s some of our interesting content this week, perfect for some weekend reading:
- Opinion: Simon Hill talks about an issue that went under the radar with all the excitement for Material design – will app devs and OEMs actually use it?
- Review: Lanh Nguyen takes HUAWEI’s $299 phablet for a spin
- Odd news: 20 armed robbers stormed a Samsung factory in Brazil and left with seven trucks filled with electronics worth $30 million
- PSA: Flying to the US or UK? Make sure you charge your devices
- Video: Josh talks about his Android Wear smartwatch and the apps he is using
Jayce summarizes the week in his popular video roundup:
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
N4 gets L, unofficially
CM11 Milestone 8 is here
Googles apps updates
- New & improved Google Drive for desktop starts rolling out
- Google Now lets you rename locations other than Home and Work
- Google Search “no I said” command lets you correct misunderstood words
- Google Keyboard updated, brings spoken emoji and a few other changes
- Gmail update brings ability to insert Drive files in-line, smarter autocomplete
Cast your screen, finally
- Official Chromecast app adds Android screen mirroring
- Chromecast mirroring now runs on nearly any device, via root app
World’s best selfie phone
Exynos chips get a modem
Behold, the Sony Xperia Z3
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: