With part of the world celebrating holidays, news has been slow on the Android front, but we did our best to make it up with reviews, op-eds, and other long-form pieces. It wasn’t all quiet though – Asus teased a couple of very interesting phones coming at CES, more alleged specs of HTC’s next flagship leaked, OnePlus got a reprieve in its patent conflict with Micromax, and China’s Meizu launched its own Xiaomi competitor.
Welcome to Android Authority this week.
Here’s Jayce’s video take on the events of the week.
Inside AA HQ
We’re an international gang of Android fanatics here at AA, but wherever we are based in the world, most of us celebrated Christmas this week. With many tech companies all but shutting down for the holidays, there wasn’t much to talk about on the news side. And the lull will extend until after New Year. But the calm won’t last long: the storm of CES is coming in early January!
This year AA will be hitting Vegas in force, with most of the YT team attending, along our US editor Andrew and our fearless leaders Derek and Darcy. The show starts January 6, but as usual, most of the big news will land on Monday, January 5, or even earlier. We don’t often see big device announcements at CES, but there’s always a ton of news from players of all sizes, vying for the spotlight at the biggest consumer electronics show in the Americas. We’ll be there to cover it all, and this year we’re also taking interest in the audio scene, through our Sound Guys expert Kris Wouk. Expect an in-depth CES preview next week.
As always, check out our weekly giveaway. Today, a Bose SoundLink 3 speaker is up for grabs. On behalf of everyone at Android Authority, I wish you a Happy New Year!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here are some interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Versus: A comparison between the Nexus 9 and the Galaxy Tab S 8.4, by Lanh
- Best apps: Joe looked back at the best indie apps and games of 2014
- Feature: Jonathan bought two prepaid for less than $50, and he liked them!
- Review: Ash looked at both sides of the two-face YotaPhone 2
- Review: Josh reviewed the Oppo N3: see the verdict here
- Feature: After several weeks of daily use, Matt gave us his revised impressions of the Galaxy Edge
- Feature: Rob examined Xiaomi’s business model, and how a wave of companies is adopting it
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
OnePlus One vs Micromax
- ASUS CES teaser reveals a new phone with an unusual camera
- Official Bluetooth listing hints at refresh to ZenFone 4, could be announced at CES
HTC Hima specs
Meizu M1 Note is here
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: