Android fans, this week Android 6.0.1 started rolling out to Nexus devices; alleged CAD renders of the Galaxy S7 leaked out; Marshmallow updates became available for a number of devices; we spotted a credible image of the Xiaomi Mi 5; the Pixel C rolled out to mixed reviews; first rumors about HTC’s next flagship surfaced; and Google released updates to many of its apps.
Inside AA HQ
Best of Android is where we put the best devices available right now through a series of in-depth comparisons. For this inaugural edition, we picked the Xperia Z5 Premium, Nexus 6P, Moto X Force, LG V10, Galaxy Note 5 and BlackBerry Priv. Through the week, we brought you in-depth looks at which phone is the best in terms of display, audio, performance, battery, and camera. Later today, we will have a close look at the UX, and tomorrow we will wrap the series and announce the overall winner.
We hope that Best of Android 2015 will become a recurring series on Android Authority, even if it was not perfect. The first edition has been a real learning experience, and we already know how to make the 2016 installment better. Feel free to tell us what you think!
Another series that’s concluding this week is our holiday guide collection, where we offer techie gift ideas for all budgets.
- Best tech gifts under $50
- Best tech gifts under $100
- Best tech gifts under $250
- Best tech gifts under $500
What do you think was the best Android phone of the year? Vote in our Reader’s Choice poll and you can win the device that gets the most votes!
We’re giving away 3 Blu Pure XL smartphones! Sign up for our international giveaway!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Feature: What makes a great Android app UI? The devil is in the details!
- Review: Bailey reviews Lenovo’s little Yoga Tab 3 8-inch.
- Rumor roundup: Crazy about the Galaxy S7? All the rumors and reports are here.
- Feature: Invites for the OnePlus 2 are gone, but what’s next for OnePlus?
- Comparison: Is there a new king of affordable handsets? BLU Life One X vs Moto G (2015)
- Review: Lanh reviews the excellent Meizu Pro 5
Top news of the week
Android 6.0.1 has arrived
- Android 6.0.1 arriving on Nexus devices today, includes new emoji
- Android 6.0.1 factory images arrive for Nexus devices
- Android 6.0.1 adds power button camera shortcut and next alarm DND mode
- Google releases Android 6.0.1 factory images and binaries for the Pixel C
- Android 6.0 appears for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 in Hungary
- Galaxy Note 4 with Android 6.0 Marshmallow video posted on YouTube
- HTC One M9 and A9 to get Marshmallow updates this month
- Marshmallow heading to the Moto E 2015 after all, but not in the US
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow headed to Moto X Pure Edition on Verizon, Sprint and U.S. Cellular (Update: AT&T too!)
Galaxy S7 hot rumors
- Is this the Samsung Galaxy S7 – First alleged CAD images leak
- Galaxy S7 Plus: Rumored 6-inch phablet CAD video render leaks
Is this the Xiaomi Mi 5?
Pixel C controversy
- Google’s Pixel C now available for $499 from the Google Store
- Pixel C team fields Reddit’s questions, fails to answer the important ones
- Evidence says the Pixel C wasn’t designed to be an Android device
Google apps updates
- Google Photos gets shared albums in latest update
- Google Drive update makes searching for files faster and easier
- Google Wallet now lets you send money over text messages
- Google Play Music family plan arriving this week for $14.99 per month
- Google Drive adds actionable notifications for file sharing
- Google Now On Tap update unleashes instant screen sharing
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.