Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
The countdown to IFA has begun, and more info about the devices coming at the show surfaces every day. This week, Samsung teased us ruthlessly ahead of the Note 4 launch, HTC launched the 64-bit Desire 510 and hinted at the Desire 820, Sony’s new Xperia lineup leaked, LG launched the G3 Stylus, two new smartwatches landed, and Asus reminded us that it too has a wearable coming.
At AA HQ, we’ve been busy preparing for the big show next week and the good stuff coming later this fall. Tech news is finally picking up again, and we couldn’t be happier!
Check out Jayce’s popular weekly Android news roundup!
IFA is a big deal this year
Well, IFA is always a big deal because it’s the start of the busiest season in tech, the time when all companies put out their best products so they’re ready on the shelves when holiday shopping begins. Yes, the spring season is important too, but it’s the end of the year that really matters. And this year, competition is intense. Not only we have a slew of cool Android devices duking it out against each other, but the long-awaited larger iPhone is going to make the mobile race more interesting than ever. It all starts next week: Note 4, Gear VR, G Watch R, new Moto X and Moto G, new Xperia devices, and more.
Fun, games, and a lot of hard work
Tech blogging can be hugely rewarding , especially if you’re passionate about the things you’re writing about all day. Attending shows like IFA, CES, and MWC is one of the best things about it. You get to interact with the people behind the devices, you get to see cool new toys before most people, and overall it’s just lots of fun. On the flip side, it’s also lots of work, especially if you’re part of a small team. Attending briefings, live-blogging, running from one booth to another (especially at IFA, which takes place at a huge and confusing expo complex), all while writing posts and coordinating with the team back home… it can be challenging at times. But don’t get me wrong – the sleep deprivation is totally worth it!
We did it. Well, some of us did it. Our YouTube team (Kevin, Joe, Josh, Lanh) and our fearless leader Darcy accepted the challenge to get drenched in cold water and donate to the ALS Association (Lahn also donated to Water.org, while Josh thoughtfully took the challenge on a patch of parched grass.) The results are in the video below – check out this post to learn where to donate and support the fight against ALS.
Coming up next
Motorola programed its autumn event on September 4, but for some reason it’s in Chicago, not Berlin. Keep an eye out for our Moto X+1 and Moto G2 hands-on impressions.
A Gear Live is awaiting its new owner. And a Nexus 5 is going up for stakes through this Sunday Giveaway. Because what’s better than free gadgets?
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here’s some of our interesting content this week, perfect for some weekend reading:
- Preview: Bogdan walks you through the devices we expect to launch at IFA this year
- Review: Josh reviews Nvidia’s Shield and he LOVES it
- Guide: Snapdragon, Exynos, Tegra, MediaTek – what you need to know about today’s mobile SoCs /
- Moonshot: Project Wing, Google’s latest moonshot, is all about drones
- Apps: Joe rounds up 11 new apps that are worth your time
- Review: What’s the fuss about Xiaomi Mi 4? We find out here
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Note 4 rumor and teasers:
HTC goes 64-bit
- HTC Desire 510, a solid budget-mid range entry to the Desire family
- 64-bit capable HTC Desire 510 coming to Sprint, Boost, Virgin Mobile and Cricket
- Upleaks: Desire 820 has a Snapdragon 410, HTC has two smartwatches in the works
Xperia Z3 and 8-inch tablet
- Latest Xperia Z3 pics show the device from all angles, gives us a peek inside as well
- Sony’s 8-inch tablet and new smartwatch leak in promo image
- Sony Xperia flagship reportedly coming to Sprint, likely the Z3
G3 Stylus is here
- Asus teases metal curves in first video of Android Wear-powered ZenWatch
- ASUS teases smartwatch, again, and launch event at IFA in Berlin
Gear S and LG G Watch R
- Curved display SIM-equipped Samsung Gear S made official!
- Stunning LG G Watch R announced ahead of IFA!
- Did LG out-circle Motorola? Still excited about the Moto 360?
- Is the Gear S capable of permanently replacing your smartphone?
- Style comes at a cost – G Watch R to cost 100 euros more than G Watch in Europe
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: