Links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
Android Authority this week
Things are picking up again in the Android universe. This week brought us details on hot new devices coming this fall, from the Galaxy Alpha and the Note 4, to the highly-anticipated Nexus tablet from HTC. LG leaked its own G3 Stylus in a promotional video, we learned more about Motorola’s plans, and Update Wednesday brought cool new features to Google’s apps.
Between the forums, behind the scenes work, and preparations for IFA, things are picking up at AA HQ as well. Here’s what went down this week.
Android Authority this week
Introducing AA Deals
It’s great to talk about technology all day, but it’s even better to, you know, actually be able to buy it. That’s why we’ve partnered with deal specialist StackSocial to bring you Android Authority Deals. Basically, it’s a section on our website where we and our partner StackSocial offer mobile technology (and more) at discounted prices. Our promise to you is this – we will only bring to your attention deals that we think are relevant, timely, and worth your time. Check out the AA Deals page and sign up for an account to never miss a deal.
Spotlight: Android Customization series
Our Jonathan Feist (we lovingly call him Feisty, though he’s actually quite a pacifist) is a man on a mission. In his weekly Android Customization series, he goes in-depth on various ways to make your Android device truly yours. It’s more than “apply this icon pack” and “install that app.” Feisty tackles tasks that could give you headaches if you had to research them yourself, like mastering Tasker, working with NFC tags, and easily transferring files over WiFi between your phone and computer. Keep an eye on the series – new post every Thursday – and let Feisty know what would you like to learn about next.
Coming up next
Our review team is getting some cool gadgets to play with over the next few days. Xiaomi is beginning to make waves in the West, and it’s already a raging typhoon in Asia. So we bet you’re curious about Xiaomi’s latest masterpiece, the Mi 4. Well, we’ll have a look at it soon. We also plan to dabble into the Chromebook world a little more and we plan to review a cool new machine from Acer. Let us know how you feel about Chromebook reviews, since it’s something we haven’t really done up until now. We’re also booking flights and hotel for IFA; just like last year, Josh and yours truly (Bogdan) will represent AA at Europe’s hottest tech show.
OnePlus One – come and get it
It’s simple, every Sunday, we give away a cool gadget. We’ve already shelled out several OnePlus One’s, no invitations required :). And this week, we’re doing it again. Go here to pick your ticket, and good luck!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here’s some of our interesting content this week, perfect for some weekend reading:
- Review: The One E8 looks flashy, even if it’s just plastic. Here are our thoughts on it
- Feature: Audiophiles, listen up. Rob Triggs explains the state of audio on Android, and what’s coming
- How-to: Is your Android acting up? Simon Hill has some helpful tips to make it fly again
- Video: Andy or BlueStacks? Sometimes you want to run Android on your PC. Joe Hindy pits against each other two of the best emulators
- LOL: Sam Sung worked at Apple… and he is auctioning his business card
Jayce is moving this week, so unfortunately no video this week guys! Be sure to check out our YouTube where we have new Android videos going up every day!
Top news of the week
And here’s the top news in the Android world this week:
- Leaked photos give us our closest look yet at the Samsung Galaxy Alpha, this time in white
- Galaxy Alpha leaked in clearest pictures yet
- UK retailer puts up Galaxy Alpha for pre-order, before pulling it back down
Start the countdown for Note 4
- Samsung Unpacked scheduled for September 3rd, the Note 4 is almost here
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch invites go out
- Galaxy Note 4 to be released week of September 15th (RUMOR)/
Look, it’s G3 Stylus
- LG G3 Stylus leaks in official video, could be LG’s answer to Note 4
- Report: LG G3 Stylus to feature “downgraded” specs, launch by the end of September
- Google Music updated, adds a new widget and reskins the other one
- YouTube updated, brings a few changes to Playlists
- Google Maps to the Moon and Mars in new Easter Egg
- Google+ update v4.5 brings multiple design changes
- Google adds call-back button to Android Device Manager lock screen
- Moto 360 images show wireless cradle, steel build, and heart rate sensor
- Moto G successor reportedly will offer a 5-inch display, better camera too
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: