Android fans, this week us brought us the best look yet at the upcoming Xperia Z4; Samsung showed us that its Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge can take a beating, and a bending; LG began to unveil to unveil the G4 in slow motion, releasing info on its software and camera; HTC introduced the One M9+ in China, bringing a bigger screen, a different processor, and a fingerprint sensor; Cyanogen revealed the new features coming in CyanogenMod 12; and rumors emerged about Android Wear becoming compatible with iOS.
Inside AA HQ
It was relatively quiet around AA HQ this week, as the Android world is winding down a bit now that the Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 have launched. Speaking of which, these two devices are almost in a class of their own in terms of quality, designs, and features, and we’re really excited to take them for a spin or even buy them as our daily drivers. Some of us are interested in getting the S6, while Joe has already got himself a shiny new One M9. If you’re interested in his impressions after using the M9 for about a week, check out his “review” on Google Plus (spoiler: he loves it).
The first batch of reviews for the Apple Watch came out this week, and they were a mixed bag. While the general tone was positive, reviewers pointed out many issues, a sign that not even Apple is sure what to make of the smartwatch concept. That said, Android Wear remains just as inconsistent, even if Google had a head start in bringing its wearable OS to maturity. Read Nirave’s “Top Android Wear alternatives to the Apple Watch” piece for an analysis of the Android Wear landscape right now.
For the second half of April, we look forward to two big announcements: Huawei Ascend P8 on April 15 and the LG G4 on April 28. We’re already set and booked for both events, so expect some prime coverage.
The Friday Debate Podcast
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
Here are some interesting posts for your Sunday reading:
- Feature: Simon looks at the convergence between Android and Chrome OS
- Versus: Jon pitches against each other the iPad Air 2 and the Google Nexus 9
- Tips and tricks: Getting an S6 Edge? Here are some features that you should know
- Review: Check out Nokia’s first real Android device, the N1, in Kevin’s review
- Review: It may not be well known, but the ZTE Blade S6 is worth your attention
- Tech talk: LPDDR4: what it means and why it matters
- Feature: Nirave looks at the Android Wear landscape at the arrival of the Apple Watch
Top news of the week
And here are the top news in the Android world this week:
Xperia Z4 leak
S6 and S6 Edge are here
- Video: S6 Edge bends at same load as iPhone 6 Plus, One M9 is slightly stronger
- Proud of how tough the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are, Samsung publishes its own drop test
- A Galaxy S6 Edge is assembled from bits and pieces in this new Samsung video
LG G4 announcements
- LG G4 to have f/1.8 aperture lens, and possibly a leather back
- LG unveils simpler, more human-centric UX 4.0
- LG giving away 4,000 LG G4s to test drive ahead of launch
- LG unveils LG G4 camera: 16MP with F/1.8 aperture, 8MP front cam
Cyanongen 12 features
Android Wear for iPhone
We always want to hear your feedback. Whether it’s criticism or praise, feel free to tell us what you think about Android Authority’s content, design, and community. Comment here or get in touch with us on our social channels: