Music can’t always be left to the all-knowing algorithm. How could Alexa possibly know if you suddenly just really want to hear that one Peter Gabriel song? You know, the one from all the movie trailers.
Read more: Best Amazon Echo accessories
Without leaving all the decisions in Alexa’s hands, you can get her help in putting together that perfect playlist for any situation you may be in.
How do you create and edit an Amazon Echo playlist? It’s pretty easy, actually.
Create an Amazon Echo playlist
Creating an Amazon Echo playlist is incredibly quick and painless. Simply tell Alexa you want her to create a playlist, and that’s it:
- Say “Alexa, create a new playlist.”
- Alexa will then prompt you to name the playlist.
Alternately, you can give Alexa extra information at the outset to save time:
- Say “Alexa, create a ‘bedtime’ playlist” or;
- Say “Alexa, create a ‘road trip’ playlist” or;
- Say “Alexa, create a ‘Valentine’s Day’ playlist.”
You get the picture. You can name your playlist whatever you like.
Edit an Amazon Echo playlist with your voice
Once you’ve created a new playlist, you’ll want to populate it with songs.
Unfortunately, your options are pretty limited in terms of using your voice. You can only add songs via Amazon Prime Music or Amazon Music Unlimited with voice commands. You also can’t just list a bunch of songs all at once.
Here’s how adding a song works:
- Start listening to the song you want on your playlist.
- Say “Alexa, add this song to (the name of your) playlist.”
- If you happen to think of a song you want to add that’s not playing, you can just say it. For example: “Hey Alexa, add ‘One More Year by Tame Impala’ to my Saturday Morning playlist.”
That’s it. Repeat these steps with each song you want on your playlist.
As for deleting songs from your playlists, you cannot use Alexa voice commands. Instead, log into the Amazon Music app. There, you can delete songs at your convenience.
Add playlists with the Amazon Music app
You can also use the Amazon Music app to make new Echo playlists without using voice commands. Here’s how that works
- Open the Amazon Music app.
- Tap on the My Music option
- Select Playlist
- Then select Create New Playlist, and add your name for that playlist.
- Finally, tap Save, and start adding songs and albums to the playlist. Tap Done to complete it.
Read more: Best music apps and tools