Developers everywhere are on a mission to make sure that Android devices with no official release of Ice Cream Sandwich get their own bit of happiness. Yet, even though the HTC Amaze 4G is earmarked for an official ICS update from HTC at some unspecified date this year, users of the amazing phone are getting impatient.
But, apparently, there’s little room for fretting, as the HTC Amaze 4G gets its own early taste of Ice Cream Sandwich in the form of the Evervolv Iaceo Preview 1 ROM, based on AOSP and without HTC Sense. If you’re a fan of the stock, Sense-less Android look, then this ROM is for you.
This ROM was developed by XDA Developers member xboarder56. It’s still an early build, and is currently under development and still having its bugs and issues ironed out. At the time of this writing, some of this ROM’s issues are the following:
- External SD Card
- SD Card Mounting
The ROM isn’t functional enough yet for daily use, but it’s good enough if you want to see what your HTC Amaze 4G would look like running ICS.
A more stable version is in the works, but if these snags don’t get you down and you can’t wait to give your HTC Amaze 4G an Ice Cream Sandwich boost, you’ll need a few things:
- Evervolv Iaceo Preview 1 ROM package
- A rooted HTC Amaze 4G, with S-OFF and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- A fully charged battery to make sure that your device will not shut off in the middle of the update process
- Make a back up of all the important information on your device, in case data will be lost or corrupted during the update process
Also take note that the Evervolv Iaceo Preview 1 ROM is only compatible with the HTC Amaze 4G, so we highly discourage users of other device models to attempt flashing this ROM, as it may lead to bricking. Make sure that your device is an HTC Amaze 4G through “Settings > About Phone”.
Caution: These instructions are provided for educational purposes only and we do not provide 100% guarantee that they will work. Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not be held responsible for any damage or loss of data through your use of these instructions.
Once you have everything ready, you may now proceed with installing the Evervolv Iaceo Preview 1 ROM on your HTC Amaze 4G:
- Download the Evervolv Iaceo Preview 1 package onto your computer.
- Copy the file into the root of your phone’s SD Card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot into Recovery. You can do this by holding the Volume Down key and pressing the Power button. When the bootloader menu appears, use the Volume Down key to scroll down to “bootloader”, then press the Power key. Then, use the Volume Down key to scroll down to “recovery”, and select it by pressing the Power key.
- Once you’re in Recovery Mode, completely wipe your phone data, as follows:
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” from the main menu.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition” from the main menu.
- Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” from the “Advanced” menu.
- Navigate to “Install ZIP from SD Card”, then select “Choose ZIP from sdcard.”
- Locate and select the Evervolv Iaceo Preview 1 ROM file. The ROM will now start installing.
- Reboot your phone afterwards.
Once the file has finished flashing, your HTC Amaze 4G will now be running Evervolv Iaceo Preview 1. Enjoy your taste of Ice Cream Sandwich.