Affiliate links on Android Authority may earn us a commission. Learn more.
5 Android apps you shouldn't miss this week! - Android Apps Weekly
- Square Enix was on a roll with their Final Fantasy freemium games. However, that streak seems to have ended with Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire. The new game has drawn widespread criticism. It’s basically a Final Fantasy themed clone of Machine Zone games like Mobile Strike and Game of War: Fire Age. This isn’t the first time something like that has happened. After all, Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is similar to Brave Frontier. However, the developers definitely didn’t do enough to make it feel like a Final Fantasy game. They deserve their criticism.
- Google lost a big court battle this week. The case revolved around Google Search. Here’s what happened. Google has a shopping comparison feature. Unfortunately, companies can buy their way into that comparison tool. Google shows this with a sponsored logo. However, that still manages to break the anti-trust rules under EU law. Google now has to change its ways and pay $2.7 billion USD as a fine.
- Silicon Valley is a fun TV show. Every now and then, the show reaches outside of its confines and joins pop culture. We saw clips shot for Google I/O in 2016. This year, we got a for real Not Hot Dog app. It came out on iOS back in May after the original episode aired. However, it’s nice to see the joke play out on Android as well. The app is available now in Google Play.
- Google is finally going to stop scanning Gmail content for ad personalization. The act of doing so has been under fire essentially since they started doing it. It does, after all, raise plenty of privacy concerns. Gmail will still have advertising. It’ll instead revolve around your browsing and search habits rather than the contents of your Gmail. Expect the change to take place later in 2017. We think this is a good move.
- Google has officially kicked off their Google Play Summer Sale. You can get discounts on tons of Google Play stuff. That includes movies, TV shows, books, music, apps, and games. You can even rent one movie for $0.99. Some of the games on sale include Final Fantasy Tactics, Square Enix’s GO games, Don’t Starve: Pocket Edition, Ticket to Ride, Bloons TD 5, and more. It’s a huge sale that lasts until July 6th.
For even more Android apps and games news, releases, announcements, and more, check out this week’s newsletter by clicking here! There you can find a ton of stuff that we didn’t have space for here. That includes a new type of malware app that scams advertisers, Assassin’s Creed Rebellion, and the death of Google Talk. You can sign up for the newsletter using the form below if you’d like. You can also check out the Android Authority app to get more frequent updates.
If we missed any Android apps or games news, tell us about it in the comments. Thank you for reading and check back next week for more!