Here’s your daily tech digest, by way of the DGiT Daily newsletter, for Monday, July 15, 2019!
Sign up right here to get the full email with much more into your inbox.
1. It’s Prime Day
Wait, you didn’t notice it was Amazon Prime Day? All this free advertising for Amazon for nothing! In all seriousness, there are deals to be had if you haven’t already had a look.
The team has been hard at work figuring out the best of the Prime deals, and there’s a medium-length list of what’s good just below, plus some top picks. (Note most deals are U.S.-only – but we’ll throw a bone towards Canada and the UK too.)
Hot tip: A lot of what you need to do on Prime Day is judge the prices compared to the actual regular pricing, not just the discount versus the list or RRP price which can often be inflated.
- Apple stuff! There are some nice deals on Apple gear, although there isn’t much that’s current gen – but the Apple iPad Pro (10.5-inch, Wi-Fi + Cellular, 512GB) – Silver for $699 packs all the storage/cellular upgrades you might need. (Amazon says that’s $430 off – it’s more like $250 off which is still excellent.)
- There’s also the Apple Watch Series 3 GPS for $169, or $110 off, and the Apple Watch Series 3 GPS + Cellular for $229, which is a healthy $150 off. Also Beats Solo3 wireless headphones – $160 off.
- Of course, unsurprisingly, Amazon’s own stuff has some of the best deals. The latest Amazon Echo Show 5 has hit its cheapest ever price: $49, save $40. A well-reviewed Alexa with a screen for your kitchen, if that’s your thing.
- The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K for $24.99 (save $25), is pretty good too. More Amazon Echo smart speaker things on special here.
- The Galaxy S10 series, Galaxy S9 series, and Galaxy Note 9 are given steep discounts, with the flagship devices anywhere from 24%-to-42% off the official list pricing. The best of these, to me, is the Samsung Galaxy S10+ with 128GB storage for $699 – there’s white or pink available. (Also with 512GB storage in black, if you need.)
- Razer Phone 2 for $399. That’s about $100 cheaper than I recall seeing before.
- Chromebooks of all varieties have some steep discounts, too.
- PS. Don’t forget Google has great deals on the Pixel 3, XL, and Pixel 3a & XL, outside the world of Amazon.
More posts about Prime Day Deals
2. Samsung Galaxy Note 10 may face delays due to trade dispute (Android Authority).
3. Google Pixel 4 and its distinctive camera spotted in public again (Android Authority). However, a poll we ran indicates most of you don’t care about the Pixel 4, though there is some hope for Google.
5. Huawei reportedly planning hundreds of U.S. layoffs (Gizmodo).
6. AT&T’s “free” robocall blocking service comes with a $4 monthly catch (Ars Technica).
7. This is a site that takes you to recently uploaded YouTube videos that have zero views (astronaut.io)
8. Florida DMV makes millions selling Floridians’ data…for pennies (and you can’t opt out) (BoingBoing). (Facepalms really dominate today…)
9. Is this Nintendo Switch HDMI cable worth buying for $100 (CNET)? The answer is maybe. I thought it’d be a flat no at the price.
10. Huge power outage hits NYC and Times Square on anniversary of infamous 1977 blackout (Gizmodo).
11. “I worked on AI for YouTube’s “recommended for you” feature: We underestimated how the algorithms could go terribly wrong” (Wired).
13. “What did a fictional character say that stuck with you?” (r/askreddit).
DGiT Daily: Your Tech Resource
In case you don’t know, the DGiT Daily delivers a daily email that keeps you ahead of the curve for all tech news, opinions, and links to what’s going down in the planet’s most important field. You get all the context and insight you need, and all with a touch of fun, and the daily fun element that you otherwise miss.