Tablets come in all shapes and sizes, but 10-inches seems to be the sweet spot for optimal media consumption and a decent laptop replacement. However, there are tons of great premium 10 inch Android tablets out there to choose from, making picking just one a difficult decision. Just hit the next page to find out Android Authority‘s top picks for 10 inch Android tablets.
#1 Samsung Nexus 10
The Samsung Nexus 10 is an impressive tablet in hardware and software. When it comes to software, you get the best and latest of Android — 4.3 Jelly Bean. With Google Now and Project Butter, stock 4.3 Jelly Bean is extremely smooth and fast.
The most important element of any tablet is arguably the display, and what an impressive display the Nexus 10 has. It features industry leading sharpness brought to us by way of its 2560×1600 display. As for internals, it features a very powerful 1.7GHz dual-core A15 Exynos chip and 2GB of RAM making multitasking is a breeze. The Nexus 10 will be able to take on some of the most demanding tasks, and is one speedy performer.
Samsung Nexus 10 Specs
- Size: 263.9 x 177.6 x 8.9mm
- Weight: 603g
- 10.055-inch touchscreen WQXGA display with 2560 x 1600 resolution, 300ppi and Corning Gorilla Glass 2
- 1.7GHz Dual-core Exynos chip with Mali T604 GPU
- 2GB of RAM
- 16/32GB internal memory
- No microSD support
- 5-megapixel camera
- 1.9-megapixel front-facing camera
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n (MIMO+HT40)
- Micro USB
- Micro HDMI
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- Magnetic Pogo pin charger
- 9000mAh Litium polymer battery
- Sensors: microphone, accelerometer, compass, ambient light, gyroscope, barometer
- Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
For more on the Nexus 10, read our review.
#2 Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Sony’s Xperia Tablet Z is the perfect tablet for media consumption. Sporting a 10.1-inch TFT 1,920 x 1,200 screen with 224ppi, movies, video, and games look beautiful on this display. This is easily one of the best 10 inch Android tablets on the market. Plus, it’s also the thinnest tablet on the market, at just 6.9mm thin. Most people who’ve owned 10 inch tablets eventually opt for a smaller form factor because anything heavier than 550 grams can get tiring to hold. Sony’s designers were able to achieve an incredible 495 grams with the Xperia Tablet Z, which is quite a feat and one that makes this tablet a delight to hold.
As for software, you get Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, which is themed to look like stock Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The darker tones really do make the over interface look nice. And with a 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro, you can really fly through the Tablet Z’s elements.
Sony Xperia Tablet Z Specs
- 172 x 266 x 6.9 mm
- 495 grams
- 10.1-inch TFT display capable of 1,920 x 1,200 resolution (224ppi)
- 1.5GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU
- Adreno 320 GPU
- 8.1-megapixel rear camera
- 2.2-megapixel front-facing camera
- IPX57 water resistant and IP5X dust proof
- Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
#3 Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition
Samsung introduced the all new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition during IFA 2013 in Berlin, Germany not long ago. And with the crazy specs it’s sporting, this is indeed a top tier device, able to handle some of the most demanding tasks. Being a 10 inch Android tablet, and as expected, media looks beautiful on this device.
It’s not available just yet, as the device will begin hitting stores in the third quarter, which means we should start seeing a gradual rollout as early as this month(September).
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Specs
- Size: 243.1 x 171.4 x 7.9mm
- Weight: 535g
- 10.1-inch WQXGA Super clear LCD (2560 x 1600 resolution)
- 2.3GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor (LTE version) / 1.9GHz octa-core Exynos 5 Octa processor (3G/Wi-Fi version)
- 3GB of RAM
- 16/32/64GB of storage
- microSD support up to 64GB
- 8-megapixel camera with BSI sensor, and LED flash
- 2-megapixel camera with BSI sensor
- Wi-Fi ac/a/b/g/n (2.4GHz & 5GHz), Wi-Fi Direct
- Bluetooth 4.0
- USB 2.0
- GPS, GLONASS
- S Pen
- 8220mAh battery
- Android 4.3 Jelly Bean with TouchWiz on top and Samsung features
More to come
While we’ve only listed three 10 inch Android tablets, there is so much more about to enter the fray, such as a new ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity and a likely Nexus 10 refresh. It would be crass of us to include tablets that will soon be replaced by a mightier tablet that is just over the horizon, especially when technology has improved so much in just the last year.
As always, be sure to stay tuned with Android Authority, as new devices are always launching, so we’ll be sure to keep this post updated with all of the latest and greatest in the Android space!