Update Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro to Ice Cream Sandwich via CyanogenMod 9
There are several ways for you to enjoy Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich: buy a new phone that supports ICS, wait for the official updates for your phone (if the phone manufacturer has one coming for your phone), or install an ICS-based custom ROM such as CyanogenMod 9 on your mobile phone. For older Android phone models such as the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro, installing custom ROMs might be the only way for you to taste the sweetness of Ice Cream Sandwich.
Thanks to XDA Developers member paul-xxx, you can now enjoy Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro via CyanogenMod 9. Flashing the ROM lets you enjoy the features of ICS except the following (which are known bugs/issues):
- Keyboard lights
- No Radio application
- Hardware/Software video decoder
- DHCP in Wi-Fi
If your desire to experience Android 4.0.3 ICS on your phone exceeds the issues of these non-functional features, read on and learn how to install CyanogenMod 9 to enjoy Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro.
- A rooted Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro running MiniCM7 or a recent Gingerbread custom ROM.
- A Windows PC
- Download the following:
- FlashTool for Windows — Download from here and install on your PC.
- USB drivers for your phone. These are needed so the tools can properly detect your phone. Try the drivers included in the FlashTool package. The installer file is inside the “drivers” folder inside the “Flashtool” folder.
- s1tool — Download this from here and unpack the ZIP to your PC. The tool checks whether your phone’s bootloader can be safely unlocked.
- nAa kernel — This is crucial. Download the kernel (FTF file) from here.
- CyanogenMod 9 for the Xperia X10 Mini Pro — Download the ROM package here. DO NOT unzip the ZIP file.
- GApps (Google Apps) package — Get the package here. DO NOT unzip the ZIP file.
- Create a backup of your personal data on your phone (e.g., notes, files, SMS, contacts, Internet settings, etc.).
- Charge your battery to at least 70% (full charge recommended).
- Exit system tools such as antivirus programs and firewalls so they won’t interfere with the procedure.
Use this installation guide at your own risk. We will not be held responsible for any damage dealt on your Xperia X10 Mini Pro arising from the use of this guide.
- Open FlashTool on your PC.
- Connect the phone to the computer via a USB cable. If the correct drivers are installed, FlashTool will be able to recognize your phone.
- Start the rooting procedure by clicking the padlock icon in FlashTool. Follow all onscreen instructions to the letter.
- When finished, FlashTool will say “Root Access Allowed.” Verify that the Superuser app is installed on your phone. If it is installed, your phone is rooted.
- Turn off your X10 Mini Pro.
- Exit FlashTool.
- Launch s1tool.exe on your PC.
- As you plug the phone into the computer, press and hold down the Back button on the phone.
- Click the “Identify” button in s1tool.
- If s1tool displays “SEMC SIMLOCK CERTIFICATE” or “SETOOL2 SIMLOCK SERTIFICATE”, you can safely unlock the bootloader. Proceed to the next step.
- If s1tool says “NOT RECOGNIZED SIMLOCK CERTIFICATE”, style=”text-decoration: underline;”>do not proceed.
- Exit s1tool.
- Launch FlashTool on your computer again.
- Select Plugins > X10 Unlock > run from FlashTool’s menu. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- After bootloader unlocking is completed, exit FlashTool.
- Copy the nAa kernel (U20_nAa-11_18.104.22.168-nAa-11.ftf) into the “firmwares” folder inside the “Flashtool” folder.
- Launch FlashTool again.
- Click the lightning icon in FlashTool.
- From the dialog window, choose the nAa kernel. Click the OK button to begin kernel installation. Follow the onscreen instructions.
- On your phone, enable both Settings > Applications > Unknown sources and Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- At this point, both ClockworkMod Recovery and the nAa kernel are already installed on your phone.
- Copy both the CyanogenMod 9 ROM (update-cm-9.0.0-V02-X10MiniPro-KANG.zip) and the GApps update package (gapps-ics-20111230.zip) to the root directory (/sdcard) of your phone.
- Completely power down your phone.
- Boot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery, as follows: press the Back key a few times when the Sony Ericsson logo appears on the screen as the phone is booting up.
- From the recovery menu, select Backup and Restore > Backup and create a Nandroid backup of your current ROM.
- Return to the main recovery menu.
- Fully wipe all phone data by selecting the following:
- Wipe data/factory reset
- Wipe cache
- Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache
- Select Install ZIP from SDcard > Choose ZIP from SDcard. Choose the CyanogenMod 9 ZIP file that you copied to the phone. Confirm that you want to install the file.
- Repeat the previous step for the GApps update package.
- Return to the main recovery menu and choose “Reboot system now”.
Great work! You have successfully installed CyanogenMod 9 on your Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro and, therefore, have upgraded your phone to Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.