Although the Sony Xperia T LT30p and the Sony Xperia TX LT29i don't have a flood of ROMs like the Samsung or Google smartphones do, their ROM builds are pretty strong and stable. When newer ROMs don't seem to come packed with the features you want, you can always count on custom kernels. To get you started, you can try the simple stock-based kernel known as the gregkernel.
XDA Developers member gregbradley introduces this rooted kernel based on stock software from the LT30p and LT29i. If you want to keep your phone fast and snappy, this is the best kernel to flash. The gregkernel also comes with ClockworkMod Recovery.
Also, if you're an XDA Developers fan, then you get to enjoy the the forum's logo when your device boots up.
This guide shows you how to flash gregkernel for the Xperia T LT30p or Xperia TX LT29i.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Sony Xperia T, model number LT30p, or the Sony Xperia TX, model number LT29i. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Sony Xperia T LT30p or Sony Xperia TX LT29i with an unlocked bootloader
- A Windows PC
- Your phone's USB cable
- Download the Fastboot package (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB).
- Download the appropriate gregkernel v2 version to download:
- Xperia T (gregkernelV2.elf, md5sum: 14a39d6ab0ce35411c79d056e2dd8a3f)
- Xperia TX
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract the fastboot.zip file on your computer. You will get a folder named “Fastboot.”
- Copy the gregkernel ELF file to the Fastboot folder.
- Switch your phone off.
- Connect your phone to your computer in Fastboot Mode. You can do this by connecting your phone to your computer via USB cable while holding down the Volume Up key.
- Launch a command prompt as Administrator on your computer and navigate it to the Fastboot folder.
- Check if your computer recognizes your phone. A serial number will appear on the command prompt after you type the following:
- Enter the following commands:
fastboot flash boot gregkernelV2.elf
Using ClockworkMod Recovery for the LT29i
- Copy the gregkernelV2.CWM.zip to your phone's SD card.
- Turn your phone off.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. To do this, hold down the Power button while pressing the Volume Down button repeatedly until the phone boots into recovery.
- Create a NANDroid Backup. Select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > Select gregkernelV2.CWM.zip > Yes.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the gregkernel on your Sony Xperia T LT30p or Sony Xperia TX LT29i.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.