Sony was a bit late in entering the Android scene, but it has made a grand entrance by launching the Xperia phones. The phones are definitely unique in terms of style and design, and one of the things that make the Xperia experience even more awesome is Sony’s Timescape UI. If you are a fan of the this UI, you don’t have to buy an Xperia phone just to experience it because you can now apply this UI on your device.
Just very recently, XDA Developers member ra3al made the Sony Xperia S’s home launcher, widgets, and wallpapers available to any Android phone. Some of the applications and widgets which are included are the home launcher, clock widget, on/off tools, photo widget, and the weather widget. You don’t have to worry about screen resolution because most of the screen resolutions are supported and all you need to do is find the one that is perfect for your device. As for compatibility, the modification works on Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs.
If your phone has any of the following supported screen resolutions, then it most likely will be able to benefit from this mod:
- QVGA (240×320)
- HVGA (320×480)
- WVGA (480×800)
- FWVGA (480×854)
- qHD (540×960)
- HD (720×1280)
- HD (720×1186) – Galaxy Nexus
- WXGA (800×1280) – Galaxy Note
Do you want to give this a try? See the requirements and instructions below.
- A rooted Android phone with ClockworkMod Recovery and running on either Android 2.3 Gingerbread or Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. See our rooting section for help with your device.
- A file manager app installed on your phone (e.g., ASTRO File Manager, ES File Explorer)
- Make a back up of the important data on your device such as contacts, call logs, SMS and Internet settings just in case something goes wrong.
- Charge your device and make sure that it has sufficient battery for the installation.
NOTE: There is no guarantee that this would absolutely work for all devices. Use this guide at your own risk. We will not be held liable for any damage on your device as a result of following this guide.
- If you have apps that use the com.sonyericsson.home shared user, uninstall or remove them first.
- If you have an earlier version of the Xperia S Home mod (version 3 or earlier), uninstall your earlier installation first, as follows:
- Download the XPERIA S uninstaller package from here (Uninstall_XPERIA_S_Home.zip, 127.3 kB).
- Copy the uninstaller package to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Backup your existing ROM from Backup and restore > Backup.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Select Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard. Select the uninstaller package and confirm that you want to flash it.
- Reboot your phone.
- On your phone, download one of the following versions of the XPERIA S Home APK (choose the APK file matching your phone’s screen resolution):
- Launch the file manager app on your phone and navigate to where you saved the Home APK file.
- Install the APK file.
- If you want to use the XPERIA S widgets, you can download the APK files from the following links. Install the APK files in the same manner as for the Home APK file.
- Next, If you want to have some of the widgets, you have to download the widget APKs.
- Then you have to install them as normal APK.
Congratulations! You can now experience the Xperia S UI on your non-Xperia Android phone.