Upgrade the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro to Android 2.3.7 Using CyanogenMod 7.2
The Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro is quite a good Android smartphone that has been liked by many people. This device is known for its good performance and its cute form factor.
And, to give this cute phone some love, the very able team working on CyanogenMod ROMs just recently released CyanogenMod 7.2 (based on Android 2.3.7) for the Xperia Mini Pro. This latest ROM will offer new enhancements that will make the Xperia Mini Pro better when it comes to performance.
So, if you own an Xperia Mini Pro and would like to further enhance its capabilities, you can definitely check out this ROM. We have the step by step guide below if you want to indulge.
Read all the steps in the guide first before you do anything with your device. This will allow you to anticipate what will happen next during the course of the installation.
This process will entail rooting the device. And in turn, this will void the warranty of the device.
This guide is solely intended to work with the Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini Pro. Do not attempt to try this with other devices.
- A Windows PC with access to the Internet.
- You need 7-Zip installed in your PC. Download the installer from here.
- The Android SDK needs to be installed so you can use fastboot.
- The USB data cable of the device.
- You need to backup all your data.
- You need to unlock the bootloader of your device. You can find the steps here.
- You need to root the device to gain superuser access.
- The device needs to be fully charged.
- Download the CyanogenMod 7.2 package for the Xperia Mini Pro from here.
- Extract the downloaded file using 7-Zip.
- Enable USB Debugging on the device by going to Settings > Applications > Development.
- Connect the device via the USB data cable to your PC.
- Copy the Google Apps installer file and the CyanogenMod update file (both are among the extracted files) into the root directory of the device’s SD card.
- Look for the location of fastboot.exe. It will usually be placed under platform-tools or tools folder of the Android SDK installation folder on your PC.
- Copy boot.img, which you can get from the extracted files, into the folder where fastboot.exe is located.
- Disconnect the phone from the PC and turn the phone off.
- Press and hold down the Search button on the device and while doing so, connect the device to the PC again.
- Open the folder where fastboot.exe is located.
- Do a Shift + Right-click and on the menu that appears, choose “Open command window here”.
- On the terminal or the command window type “fastboot -i 0xfce flash boot boot.img” (without the double quotes) and then press Enter.
- Type “fastboot -i 0xfce reboot” without the double quotes and then press Enter.
- The device will reboot and while rebooting you need to hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down key together to access ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Backup the existing ROM by going to “Backup and Restore” option from the menu.
- Do a full wipe by selecting “Wipe data / factory reset”.
- Clear system cache by doing “Wipe Cache Partition”.
- To install the ROM go to “Install zip from sdcard”. Select “Choose zip from sdcard” option. Choose the CyanogenMod update file and confirm that you want to flash it. Repeat this step for the Google Apps file.
- After the installation process, go back to the main menu and select “Reboot system now”.
With the new Android 2.3.7 Gingerbread (CyanogenMod 7.2) installed in your device, you can now enjoy the new enhancements in your Xperia Mini Pro. Congratulations!