It’s about time that MIUI 4 officially landed on the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S. This ROM, perhaps one of the best custom ROMs available for Android, is based on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich and is packed with a unique user interface and extensive themes support.
It may not look like MIUI a hundred percent, but the developer reports that MIUI 4 packs some additional features in the Camera app, Camera 3D, and a few others. It seems to be in working condition, but it wouldn’t be surprising to find a few bugs that the developers still need to iron out.
This version of MIUI 4 is only compatible with the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S, model number LT18i. You may check your device’s model number through “Settings > About Phone.” If your phone is not a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S, model number LT18i, please do not attempt to flash this ROM to your phone as it may lead to bricking.
Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not be responsible for whatever happens to your phone after you use these instructions.
If you’d like to flash the latest MIUI 4 (as of this writing, version 2.4.6) for your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S, you’ll need a few things:
- A Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S LT18i, rooted, with unlocked bootloader, and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed and an unlocked bootloader. You can unlock your bootloader officially here.
- Flashing this ROM may delete data on your phone so create a backup of all your important data.
- Make sure your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S’s battery is fully charged. This prevents the device from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
- If you have not set up the Android SDK on your computer, download the ADB and Fastboot package: If you’re on Windows — adb-fastboot-win.rar (6.6 MB); If you’re on Linux — adb-fastboot-linux.rar (6.4 MB)
- MIUI 4 (version 2.4.6) for the Sony Xperia Arc S (miui_LT18i_2.4.6_acc51b3563_4.0.zip, 137 MB)
- ICS kernel (boot.img, 5.71 MB)
- Copy the MIUI 4 ROM into the root of your phone’s internal SD card.
- Extract the ADB and Fastboot package into a folder on your computer. Make sure the extracted files are inside the root of that folder and not inside any subfolder. (You may need to use RAR extraction software such as WinRAR.)
- Copy boot.img to the folder where you extracted the ADB and Fastboot package to.
- Turn off your phone completely.
- While holding down the Menu button on your phone, plug the phone into your computer via USB cable. This will place your phone in Fastboot mode.
- On your computer, open a terminal window and change directory to where adb.exe, fastboot.exe, and the other files are. If you’re on Windows, open the folder where you extracted the files to and double-click on commandprompt.bat to open a command prompt window in the same directory.
- Enter the following commands at the command prompt or terminal window:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- If the above command doesn’t work, then enter the following command:
fastboot -i 0x0fce flash boot boot.img
- After the flashing has completed, disconnect your Xperia Arc S from the computer.
- Turn off the phone. Turn it back on. Once the blue LED lights up, press the Back key. This will boot the phone into recovery mode.
- Once in recovery mode, make a Nandroid backup at Backup and restore > Backup. This allows you to revert to your previous ROM should something not work out with MIUI 4.
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset.”
- Select “Install Zip from SD Card” and select the MIUI 4 ROM file. Confirm that you want to flash the ZIP file. The installation may take 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once flashing has completed, press the Back key to return to the main recovery menu.
- Select “Reboot System Now.”
After the ROM boots up, enjoy MIUI 4 on your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S!