In the past few weeks, we’ve featured a lot of Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S LT18i upgrades that originated from the official Ice Cream Sandwich ROM release from Sony. We’ve also covered a lot of hacks for the Xperia Arc S, such as the all-important rooting guide. There doesn’t seem to be any stopping the developers from sharing their appreciation for the Xperia Arc S.
The latest installment for the Xperia Arc S comes from XDA Developers member Supervenom with his compilation of an AOKP-based Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM. For starters, AOKP ROMs are known for their lightning-fast performance and for their in-depth customization options, thanks to the inbuilt ROM Control Mod.
But, before you get your hands on the AOKP ROM for your beloved Xperia Arc S, take notethat this ROM is still in its early development stages with some minor bugs still present. Known bugs are Bluetooth connectivity and video recording. Rest assured that these are just minor obstacles and should not greatly affect your experience.
Check out our guide below to install the AOKP ROM on your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S LT18i.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S, model number LT18i. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Rooted Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S LT18i.
- Need help with rooting? You can refer this guide here.
- ClockworkMod Recovery installed on the phone.
- A Windows PC
- Phone drivers installed on the PC
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Download the following files and save them to your PC.
- Copy the ROM and GApps packages to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Using WinRAR or a similar program, extract the contents of the ADB and Fastboot package into a folder on your computer. Copy ARC-DooMKernel-ICS-BETA-v04-high-boot.img into the same folder.
- Turn off your phone.
- Connect your Xperia Arc S to your PC and set your phone to Fastboot mode. You can do this by plugging the USB cable first into your PC. Pick up your phone and hold down the Menu key as you connect the other end of the USB cable to your phone.
- Launch a terminal or command prompt on your PC. If you’re on Windows, you can just double-click the commandprompt.bat file inside the folder where you extracted the ADB and Fastboot package.
- Enter the following command at the terminal or command prompt to manually flash the kernel. Press the Enter key after each command:
fastboot flash boot ARC-DooMKernel-ICS-BETA-v04-high-boot.img
- After the kernel is flashed, you should get a “Finished” message inside the command prompt window, indicating that you have successfully flashed your phone.
- Safely disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Turn on your phone. You should be welcomed by the kernel logo. As soon as the blue LED lights up, start pressing the Back button multiple times to boot your phone into Recovery.
- Inside Recovery, select Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Select Wipe Cache.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card then browse for the downloaded ROM zip file and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the screen that follows.
- Repeat steps 13 and 14 to install the Google Apps package.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select Go Back to return to the main recovery menu.
- Select Reboot System Now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed an the Arc AOKP custom ROM based on AOKP’s Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S LT18i.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.