You might have already heard about Sony’s plan on giving all its Xperia 2011phones an Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update. Sony made good with its promise and its mid-April release time-frame, and the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S LT18i was one of the first few phones to receive Ice Cream Sandwich. However, the update will not be released simultaneously worldwide but rather by regions.
But, who needs official updates when there are unofficial custom ROMs that outclass the competition in terms of speed and performance? BoostHD is another Ice Cream Sandwich ROM modified for the Xperia Arc S. And, when it comes to performance, BoostHD lives up to its name for having boosted performance as well as a smoother UI.
The BoostHD ROM features these:
- Heavily tweaked; very fast and fluid UI
- Highly customizable
- Longer battery life
- ICS Holo-Dark themed native apps (e.g., Messaging, Calendar, Contacts, Email, etc.) plus Apex Launcher added
- V6 Supercharged
- Lots and lots of other optimizations, such as minfree adjustment, I/O tweaks, VM tweaks, SD Card Read Speed tweaks, JIT tweaks etc.
There are some known issues present in the BoostHD ROM, like the video camera not working as well as Wi-Fi Hotspot detection. But if you’d rather see your Xperia Arc S running Ice Cream Sandwich and standing out from the rest of the pack, then check out our guide below for all the juicy details.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S, model number LT18i. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S (LT18i) running stock Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread firmware version 4.0.2.A.0.62 and with ClockworkMod Recovery
- Need help with rooting and ClockworkMod Recovery? Refer to this guide here.
- A Windows PC
- USB drivers for the phone properly installed on the PC
- Backup of your personal files and important data.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left
- Download the following files and save them to your PC.
- Rename FXP 116.img to fxp.img.
- Connect your Xperia Arc S to your PC via the USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded BoostHD RC2 ROM and Google Apps package to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Safely disconnect your phone.
- On your PC, extract the Fastboot.zip file using any extracting software and place it in C:\ of your computer. You should have four files inside the Fastboot folder.
- Copy the fxp.img file to the Fastboot folder. Now you should have 5 files in the Fastboot folder.
- Connect your phone to your PC in Fastboot Mode. You can do this by plugging the USB cable into your PC first. Then, hold down the Menu key as you connect the USB cable to your phone.
- On your PC, launch a command prompt window from Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Inside the command prompt window, input the following commands to manually flash the kernel. Press the Enter key after each command:
fastboot flash boot fxp.img
- After the kernel is flashed, you should get a “finished” message in the Command Prompt Window indicating that you have successfully flashed your phone.
- Safely disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Switch your phone on. You should be welcomed by the kernel logo. As soon as the blue LED lights up, you may now start pressing the Back button to boot your phone into recovery.
- In recovery, select Install ZIP from SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD Card. Browse for the downloaded ROM ZIP file and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the screen that follows. Repeat steps 14 and 15 to install the Google Apps package.
- After the ROM finishes installing, select go back to Go Back to the main recovery menu.
- Select Reboot System Now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully upgraded your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S LT18i to Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich, courtesy of the BoostHD RC2 custom ROM.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.