While some Android phones are enjoying the limelight with unofficial Android 4.1 Jelly Bean-based CyanogenMod 10 ROMs, they do, however, still suffer with the lack of functionality and disabled features. However, for Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT15i and Arc S LT18i owners, getting the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update doesn’t have to be hard.
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROMs that are being used on other Android devices are still currently under development so in the meantime, you can still enjoy Google’s latest update with the Xperia Ice Bean custom ROM, which is a Jelly Bean-like ROM based on a stable build of Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Take note: this is not Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. Rather, this is Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich with a lot of mods and tweaks (including Jelly Bean apps) that give it a Jelly Bean look and feel.
The custom ROM, developed by XDA member jader13524, includes a lot of Jelly Bean features such as the JB keyabord, Google Now, JB launcher, wallpapers, Play Store, Google Search, Play Books, Play Music, Play Magazines, and boot animations. Not only that, it brings tasty apps and treats from the Sony Xperia S, including Notes, Walkman, Audio Mod, Visualizer, Clock, Messaging, Phone and Contacts, Calculator, Movies, Album, Xperia Launcher, Photo editor, and TV Launcher. Apart from those, the ROM includes a host of other mods and hacks that are intended to improve the ROM's performance.
In this guide, learn how to flash Xperia Ice Bean ROM on Xperia Arc LT15i or Arc S LT18i.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Sony Xperia Arc LT15i and Xperia Arc S LT18i. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Rooted Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc LT15i or Xperia Arc S LT18i with ClockworkMod Recovery. You will also need an ICS kernel installed on your phone.
- Need help with rooting, unlocking bootloader, and ClockworkMod Recovery? You can refer to these guides:
- Download the Xperia Ice Bean 4.2 ROM package (Xperia Ice Bean 4.2n.zip, md5sum: 7418224a2436e4835f2e392594c7e72a). You may also get it from a mirror download link.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ROM ZIP file to your phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Turn on your phone and continuously press the Volume Down button until your phone boots into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- NOTE: Once in recovery, use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Home button to select an option.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen that follows to confirm data wipe.
- Select Mounts and Storage, then select Format /system. Wait for a couple of seconds until formatting is complete then go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the downloaded ROM file and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the next screen.
- After the installation is complete, head back to the main recovery menu by selecting Go back.
- Select Reboot system now to reboot your phone into Xperia Ice Bean ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Xperia Ice Bean ROM on your Sony Xperia Arc LT15i and Xperia Arc S LT18i.