The Sony Xperia S is one of Sony’s first dual-core devices promising stability and lightning-fast processing speeds. But, don’t you know that the custom modding community at XDA Developers is also porting the Sony Xperia S firmware to run on older Sony Ericsson devices such as the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc?
This feat has been made possible, thanks to XDA Developers member zohaib0001, who managed to port the Sony Xperia S ROM to the Xperia Arc S. The Sony Xperia S firmware perfectly runs well on single-core devices and considering the Xperia Arc is a Sony-branded device, there should be no problems when it comes to stability once installed.
However, there are a few applications that are still based on the Xperia Arc firmware, but the developer has promised that those will soon be replaced with the official ones found on the Sony Xperia S.
Excited to get the Xperia S firmware running on your Xperia Arc? Continue reading and find out how you can install the Xperia S firmware on your Xperia Arc.
- Rooted Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal files and important data.
- Download the following files and save them to your PC.
- Connect your Xperia Arc to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded files to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Disconnect your phone.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery by turning the phone on and pressing the Volume Down button several times as the phone is booting up.
- Backup your current ROM by going to Backup and restore > Backup.
- Wipe your phone data:
- Select “Wipe data/ factory reset”, then select “Yes” on the screen that follows to confirm the data wipe.
- Select “Wipe cache partition” then select “Yes” on the screen that follows to confirm wiping your phone’s cache partition.
- From the main menu, select “Advanced”, then select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” then confirm Wipe Dalvik cache on the screen that follows.
- Select “Install zip from SD card.” Select “Choose zip from SD card”. Choose Xperia_S-beta 3.zip and confirm that you want to flash it to the phone. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finished.
- Reboot your phone. It may take a couple of minutes to fully boot your phone back to normal. Don’t panic, as it is normal every time you install a custom ROM.
- Reboot your phone back to ClockworkMod Recovery again (as in step 6).
- Follow the same procedure in step 9 to flash Xperia_S_music_Fix.zip to the phone.
- Go back to main recovery menu and select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Sony Xperia S ROM to your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.