Motorola announced that Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich updates will be released to the Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi-only tablet, leaving the Motorola Xoom LTE a step behind in the updates.
Fortunately, our friends from the CyanogenMod Team have released nightly builds of CyanogenMod 9 ROM for both the Wi-Fi and LTE variants of the Motorola Xoom. Installing the ROM will let you taste the sweetness of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Motorola Xoom LTE, as well as on the Motorola XOOM Wi-Fi tablet, and this guide well tell you how to do so.
- Download the most recent CyanogenMod 9 ROM nightly build to your computer:
- Click here for Motorola XOOM (Wi-Fi only)
- Click here for Motrola XOOM LTE.
- Make sure you have rooted your Motorola XOOM. See our rooting guide for your tablet.
- Flash ClockworkMod Recovery on your rooted tablet via ROM Manager app. (You can try the ROM Manager app from Google Play Store.)
- Temporarily disable system tools such as antivirus software and firewall programs before flashing the ROM. This will prevent any interruption while you flash the ROM.
- Backup your personal phone data.
- Charge your tablet’s battery to at least 70% (full charge recommended).
Make sure you know exactly what you are doing before flashing the ROM. We will not be held liable for any damage arising from the use of these step-by-step instructions.
- Download the appropriate CyanogenMod 9 (CM9) nightly build for your Xoom variant. See the links provided above. Save the file to your computer.
- Using a USB cable, hook up your Motorola Xoom to the computer.
- Copy the downloaded CM9 ROM file directly to the tablet’s internal SD card (/sdcard).
- Unplug your tablet from the computer.
- Assuming you installed ClockworkMod Recovery via ROM Manager, open the ROM Manager app and select “Reboot Into Recovery.” Confirm the action and your tablet will restart into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, create a backup of your current ROM. You can do that by selecting Backup and Restore and then select Backup.
- Select “Wipe data/factory reset” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select “Wipe Cache” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- From the main menu, navigate to Advanced. From there, select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select “install zip from sdcard.”
- Select “choose zip from sd card” and highlight the downloaded CM9 ROM file. Select the ROM file. Confirm the action to begin flashing the ROM on your tablet.
- Once installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select “Reboot system now” to reboot your tablet.
Good job! You can now enjoy Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Motorola XOOM LTE/Wi-Fi tablet via CyanogenMod 9 ROM.